A BRACE from Ben Clarkson was not enough as two second half goals from AFC Liverpool condemned Steeton to a 3-2 defeat in an evenly fought contest at Cougar Park on Saturday.

Steeton started the game high on confidence after the midweek win against Holker and had two early chances to score.

The first chance was by Toby Jeffrey as he cut in from the right wing before firing a shot goal-bound, but a deflection saw it roll comfortably into the visiting keeper's arms.

Steeton pressed forward again looking for the opener as another attempt, this time by Callum Meade, curled just wide of the post.

Against the run of play, it was AFC Liverpool who took the lead.

Midfielder Rhys Hardacre ran into the attacking half unopposed before firing from the edge of the area with a well-struck shot that beat Fletcher Paley in the Steeton goal.

This rattled the hosts into action and they scored an equaliser less than 60 seconds later.

Angus Maney beat his man on the wing, then crossed the ball for Clarkson, who had a tap-in on the line to level the scores with 14 minutes played.

Both sides had chances to score a second as both Clarkson and Meade had efforts.

At the other end of the pitch, Steeton switched off at the back whilst attempting to play a visiting attacker offside and his effort rolled into the side netting.

It was the hosts who scored the next goal with Clarkson again finding the net after good build up play involving Meade and Jeffrey.

The midfielder rolled a pass to Meade who set up Clarkson to comfortably fire past the visiting keeper.

After the break, the home side almost found themselves 3-1 up as Meade raced through one-on-one with the keeper but his tame effort was comfortably gathered.

The visitors made a change and brought striker Anthony Lyons on and it proved to be an inspired change as he equalised with his first touch.

The chance fell to him after the ball rebounded off a Steeton player and he fired in to level the scores.

As the game drew to a close, both sides looked to score again and it was the visitors who got the decisive goal.

From a ball over the top, Lyons raced away before sliding the ball under Paley for his second of the game.

Steeton looked for an equaliser as chances from both Freddie Maddocks and Clarkson both went wide and over the bar, respectively, while a shot from Toby Rawcliffe stung the palms of the keeper.

In an entertaining game, Steeton played well throughout against a top-four side and manager Roy Mason will take away a lot of positives before the visit of Daisy Hill this Saturday.