Skipton 19

Sheffield Medicals 29

A GAME of two halves saw Skipton come back from a 29-nil deficit at half-time to run in three tries in the second half but come up short against Sheffield Medicals at Sandylands on Saturday.

With a disallowed try and two held up on the line in the second half, a sizeable Sandylands crowd were left wondering what might have been.

A fine spring day with a cool easterly breeze saw the Medics kick off with the wind behind them.

Early tit-for-tat exchanges with knock-ons from both sides ended with a Medics penalty within kickable range for Skipton not releasing.

The visitors slotted the kick to take an early lead and another penalty from the re-start for a Skipton infringement at the breakdown put the visitors into the corner.

A simple chip over from the line-out gave the Medics their first converted try.

The re-start kick did not go 10 metres but Skipton disrupted the scrum back and won possession.

Stalwart prop forward Chris Wright suffered a leg injury and was replaced by Darren Greenwood.

A break away from the next line-out gave the Medics their second try, again converted, to stretch their lead to 17 nil.

Skipton had forward dominance in the scrums and disrupted the Medics possession.

A break away by the visitors was held up on the line by skipper Hamish Munro.

Skipton gained possession at the scrum but a flowing back-line move was intercepted by the Medics, who ran in try number three. The conversion attempt drifted wide.

Following an excellent drive by back row Tom Harrison from the re-start, Skipton gained a penalty for a Medics off-side.

They opted for the scrum but the back line move was again intercepted by the Medics who ran in a fourth try, with the extra points stretching their lead to 29-nil.

Skipton came back with a vengeance and back row Harry McEneaney was held up twice on the line before the break.

Skipton coach Craig Bartlett brought Jordan Wilson into the pack and James Akers into the back line for the second half.

Jack McLeod came in to scrum-half and Sam Brearley went out to the wing.

A good forward drive gave Skipton a scrum five metres out and McLeod was over for Skipton's opening try. Munro added the extra points.

A charge down by centre Ben Ross and a penalty for a deliberate knock-on by the Medics put Skipton into the corner.

Greenwood was over from the line-out, but was adjudged to have put a foot in touch and the try was disallowed.

Skipton again came back at the Medics and were awarded a penalty try for a deliberate knock-on by the visitors under the posts.

Skipton had moved into top gear. Mal Willsher replaced his brother Rick in the second row and the home side took a scrum against the head.

Munro broke and a knock-on at the breakdown by the Medics gave Skipton the scrum, from which McLeod was over for try number three. The conversion attempt drifted wide.

Skipton stand-off Yvarne Carroll took a knock to the leg and was replaced in the back line by Jake Emmison.

Skipton won a free-kick for the Medics feeding at the scrum and tremendous forward work, with second row Andrew Wooler to the fore, put Skipton down field.

The home side gained a penalty 15 metres out and opted for the scrum, but a dropped last pass saw the final whistle blow and left the home crowd with much to ponder.

Skipton were also in action last Wednesday, playing in the first round of the Aire-Wharfe Cup, and they treated the Sandylands faithful to a 36-26 victory over Bradford Salem 2nds.

The Skipton team, which featured both first and second team players, put 36 points against the Bradford side in a fast flowing game that was in the balance until the final moments when Skipton took the spoils.

Skipton will now play Bradford & Bingley at home in the second round.