Hanley Town 1

Silsden 0

SILSDEN crashed to a 1-0 defeat at Hanley Town for the first of four games in eight days as the season comes to a close in the Hallmark Security League Premier Division.

The weather was glorious in the Potteries but, once again, the pitch was hard although a lot flatter than the previous game at Abbey Hey.

Hanley is one of four clubs who were seeking to avoid relegation and theoretically had more to play for. However, Silsden boss Danny Forrest stressed that he wanted a positive end to the season for the Yorkshiremen.

Unfortunately the Cobbydalers couldn’t get a decent strike on goal and the game was won by a bizarre effort on the stroke of half time.

Silsden had the first chance when Arley Barnes hit a deep cross from the right on five minutes. Goalkeeper Dane Jackson managed to push it clear. Tom Winkle then hit a free-kick over the Silsden bar before Neville Thompson head goalwards at the far post. Jakovlevs pushed it for a corner which was cleared.

After some neat interplay down the left between Chris Wademan and Mark Everingham, the former delayed his shot and was closed down by Jackson on Good Friday.

Following a drinks break Craig Bentham headed a dangerous cross out. At last there was some slick play with Matty Moses breaking up the right. Barnes shot wide. On 30 minutes Everingham broke up an attack before Illingworth conceded a corner. Josh Thorpe had a great chance but his header cleared the bar.

The game went through a scrappy phase before Jackson saved Wademan’s low shot with his feet. Kirby was fouled on the edge of the area, but Mitchell hit the free-kick over the bar.

With the game going into stoppage time, Town were awarded a throw in level with the penalty area. Silsden’s defence were static as the ball bounced in the penalty area, not once but twice. Jakovlevs was rooted to his goalline. Thompson at the far post pushed the ball into the net from a foot out.

The second half started with Kirby breaking down the right but when the ball was laid to Jordan Townend, the cross was too heavy.

Jakovlevs saved from Thompson at the expense of a corner which was wasted. It was a scrappy game with Town happy to sit back and protect their lead.

Forrest came on for Barnes. Immediately the pace of the passing improved and the movement was slicker but Town were determined to keep a clean sheet, even having three men cautioned.

Several free-kicks were wasted with Mitchell, in particular, profligate.

Silsden just couldn’t create a clear opening, while Town looked dangerous on the break. Thompson broke through, 10 minutes from time but wasted a glorious opportunity to seal the match.