Silsden 3

Burscough 2

SILSDEN finished their Hallmark Security League Premier Division season on a high with a home victory.

Two-goal hero from Wednesday’s win, manager Danny Forrest, came in to start the game but it was the strong wind which dominated much of the play.

Burscough had been rocked overnight by the resignations of their manager and his assistant.

The visitors were on the attack from the kick-off and took the lead on three minutes when Chad Whyte broke past Dan Illingworth and Josh Kaine before sliding the ball past Alfie Darke.

The wind strengthened and Prince Ekpolo hit a dangerous cross in from the left. Jordan Lorde was the next to benefit from the wind and lax defending. His cross found Whyte but he fired over.

Fortunately the visitors found the wind difficult as well, several crosses being over hit.

An unprotected defence was again exposed by Whyte, who had run onto a through ball to slide the ball home on 21 minutes.

Silsden did manage their first effort with a slick move involving Aidan Kirby and Josh McKiernon, who set up Chris Wademan. His effort was cleared off the line.

The Linnets then broke again down the left. Connor Finlayson slid the ball to Terry Cummins but Arley Barnes blocked the effort.

Ten minutes before the break, Kirby held up the ball before laying it back to Barnes. His shot caught the wind, cleared the bar before coming back into play.

Moses sent a through ball to Wademan who hit a low shot which was saved.

Silsden managed to keep the ball with some slick pass-and-move football. Kirby fed Barnes who curled a shot wide. As the half ended, a long shot from Ekpolo sailed over the Silsden bar.

Wademan saw a shot saved five minutes after the restart before a second effort 10 minutes later was parried by Ryan Grier. Illingworth was there to tap it home.

Silsden had the initiative. Forrest hit a fine drive which was saved. Kirby went close after Wademan and Barnes had opened up the Linnets defence.

Wademan hit another shot which was saved, then Kirby was just beaten to the ball by the Burscough keeper.

Kirby was straining every sinew and twice he went close after good work by Barnes and Moses.

Barnes set up Kaine who shot wide of the far post. The Cobbydalers still played the ball about in small triangles trying to create an opening.

Peter Henerty made a break for the visitors before Moses earned a corner. Everingham swung it in, the ball was deflected to Illingworth at the back post. He hit the ball down and it bounced over the visitor’s keeper..

Niall Sultan came on for McKiernon. He immediately burst down the right, exchanged passes with Illingworth before the centre-back almost completed his hat-trick. Barnes hit a superb drive which Grier held comfortably before seeing another free-kick blocked.

With five minutes left Cummins made a brilliant run through the Silsden defence. Two shots were blocked before Silsden broke away. The ball was swung over to Kirby whose header hit the post. Sultan was on hand to rifle home the rebound.

Silsden: Darke (Jakovlevs 88), Moses, Everingham, Kaine, Illingworth, Bentham, Barnes, McKiernon (Sultan 77), Forrest, Kirby (Hardisty-Blackwell 90), Wademan. Subs not used: Dakin, Sorhaindo.

On Saturday the Cobbydalers have a presentation evening and race night (7pm).

On Saturday, May 18 there is a Cancer Research game between the Cobbydalers and Steeton. Both sides have had either players, officials or spectators who have been affected by cancer in their families. There will also be a function in the evening.