Barnoldswick Town (EL) 2

Ingleton 2

Town won 5-4 on penalties

BARNOLDSWICK Town (EL) successfully defended the Morrison Cup when they beat North Lancashire League Premier Division side Ingleton in a penalty shoot-out at Settle United FC.

The cup holders took the lead after eight minutes when Ingleton keeper Graham Kellett blocked man of the match Joe Brown’s surging run in to the penalty area, but was unable to prevent James Butler from finding the net as the ball ran loose.

For 15 minutes Town was on top, but indecisive defensive work after 16 minutes allowed Ingleton striker Mark Dobson to pounce and smash the ball past the young Town goalkeeper Dominic Walker from point blank range.

The indecision spread through the Town defence and uncharacteristic errors became commonplace in the next phase of play, despite veteran defender Matthew Holt’s attempts to hold the defence together.

It was during this period of pressure from the hard working and determined Ingleton players that they took the lead with a speculative 30-yard lob from Alex Hartley, which gave Ingleton a 2-1 advantage on 18 minutes.

Ingleton worked ferociously hard to protect their lead and only the linesman’s flag prevented them from going further ahead early in the second half.

As time was ebbing away, Town substitutes James Hughes and Teal Amos were brought in to play with a quarter of the game remaining.

This finally saw the creation of some sustained pressure on the Ingleton goal and it was the ever-improving Hughes who finally got his team level following a goalmouth melee that saw desperate attempts by the Ingleton defenders to clear their lines.

The equaliser came in the 90th minute and broke the hearts of the long-time leaders, who must have thought they had done enough to take the cup back up the A65.

The referee ended normal time almost immediately after the equaliser, and for the second time in this year’s competition the relieved holders were faced with a penalty shoot-out to retain the Morrison Cup.

The third Ingleton penalty taker put his attempt into the River Ribble and it then just required Bailey Coates, James Butler and finally ace marksman Jordan Slade to hold their nerve for the drama to be completed and the Morrison Cup returned to Barnoldswick.

Town’s young goalkeeper Dominic Walker, who with limited experience at this level, kept his nerve throughout the game and during the penalty shoot-out.


* Friday night brings the curtain down on the district cup competitions at Skipton Town AFC when Craven Challenge Cup holders Settle United are hoping for a repeat of last year's final when they defeated Rimington. Kick-off is 6.30pm.

Both teams have players in Graeme Kershaw and David Worthington, who both have given 20 years service to their respective clubs.

Kershaw played his 550th game last weekend and is an influential player as an outstanding goalkeeper, whose vast experience has helped Rimington to many successes

over the years.

Worthington, apart from two years at Clitheroe FC, has spent all his football career at Settle United.

He represented Craven FA and the West Riding County FA at junior level

Now as player/manager his knowledge and experience has helped Settle to success in recent years.

Settle, who claimed the Craven League title last Saturday, have aspirations of gaining a treble when they also take on Silsden Whitestar at Cross Hills on Tuesday in the Craven League's Premier Division Cup final.