Silsden 2

Maltby Main 1

SILSDEN, making their home debut in the Toolstation Northern Counties East Premier Division, made it two wins out of two in an even contest.

The home side were without Liam Hudson and Craig Bentham, with Josh Brown and Lewis Waddington being their replacements.

The Cobbydalers couldn’t have made a better start with Khurram Shazad netting on 37 seconds after slick inter passing between Joe Mitchell and Laurence Sorhaindo.

The Miners responded immediately with Robert Worrall breaking clear, Mark Everingham denying him at the expense of a corner. The corner was swung over and, on four minutes, Waide Fairhurst headed home at the far post.

The game settled down with Silsden hitting too many long balls which caught on the wind.

Brown, partnering Dan Illingworth at centre-back, denied Fairhurst before Silsden applied some pressure.

Shazad’s through ball to Sorhaindo was lifted by the wind before Kaine broke up the right and crossed into the Miners’ box.

Sorhaindo was beaten in the air by Joe Austin. Lewis Waddington then hit Shazad’s cross wide before Illingworth went close with a header. Shazad’s next effort was deflected for a corner.

The Miners began to gain some control at the back, closing the Cobbydaler’s forwards down more quickly.

A cross from Oscar Radford was headed goalwards by Gavin King but Darkes saved well. Austin was cautioned for a foul on Kirby.

The free-kick fell to Shazad whose shot was blocked by Radford. Brown headed wide. Kaine then broke up the right and crossed but there were no takers.

As the half time whistle beckoned, Darke did well to deny the Miners after Everingham had under-hit a back pass.

Then Brown conceded a corner after Waddington had been dispossessed. Ben Algar hit the corner back to Morton who fizzed a shot wide.

Main began to put pressure on the home defence from the restart. Patterson fired over the bar before Chipps headed wide at the far post.

Worrall hit a free-kick over the bar. The Silsden defence stood firm and Mitchell became more influential in breaking up attacks and releasing the front men.

Kirby worked hard and went close after Everingham had released Waddington, who slid in a low cross. Shazad was still a threat up front and he went close after intercepting a back pass.

Sorhaindo was replaced by Wignall midway through the half. The visitors still pressed. King missed a chance before he was denied by Darke.

Substitute Hopewell shot wide. The Cobbydalers, with Illingworth and Brown commanding in the air and Barnes breaking up play in midfield, withstood the pressure.

Silsden’s attacks were few and far between, Everingham doing all the hard work up the wing before under-hitting his shot.

Finally the Cobbydalers created an opening. Mitchell’s persistent hassling eventually paid off as he won the ball in the Miner’s half and fed Shazad who drove a low shot into the bottom corner.

The Cobbydalers managed the last 10 minutes well with Maltby failing to have a shot on goal until the 93rd minute when Darke punched out a ball launched into the goal area. The final whistle went.

SILSDEN: Darke, Kaine, Everingham, Barnes, Illingworth, Brown, Waddington (McKiernon 67), Mitchell, Kirby, Shazad, Sorhaindo (Wignall 67) Subs not used: Hardisty-Blackwell, Parchment, Higginson