Silsden 1

Thackley 2

SILSDEN, who entertained local rivals, Thackley hoping to maintain their 100 per cent record, fell short in the end of a pulsating match in the Toolstation Northern Counties East League Premier Division.

Leading scorer, Khurram Shazad, was an absentee, replaced by Harrison Hardisty-Blackwell. Craig Bentham returned to the midfield.

Silsden started with Josh Kaine breaking up the right but his cross was just overhit. The Dennyboys responded with two breaks but Dan Illingworth intercepted on both occasions.

Kaine then got on the end of a through ball but his shot hit the side netting. Illingworth was cautioned for a rash challenge.

Arley Barnes fed Aidan Kirby whose cross was cleared for a corner before the striker combined with Hardisty-Blackwell who fed Laurence Sorhaindo. The angle was just too tight for him to squeeze the ball home.

Silsden continued to press. Kaine's low shot was wide while Sorhaindo headed Barnes’ cross over the bar. Kirby and Barnes interchanged passes before Joe Mitchell saw his shot saved by Luke Wilson.

The Dennyboys' first attack of note came 20 minutes into the game but Bentham snuffed out the danger.

They came close to opening the score two minutes later when Illingworth was dispossessed but Kieran Thompson’s cross was over the bar.

When Mark Everingham failed to clear the ball up the left, Silsden goalkeeper Alfie Darke managed to gather the ball.

Kirby received a long ball and immediately played it across field to Kaine. The skipper drove up the right and fired in a fierce cross-shot which rattled the bar. Harrison-Blackwell chased it down but the keeper followed him and tripped him up. Penalty. Kirby put the spot-kick wide of the keeper.

Silsden had dominated the game but that changed when Kaine was injured and had to be replaced: Liam Hudson came on for the skipper at right back. Thackley had a corner but one header was cleared and the follow-up was headed wide.

The Cobbydalers had a good break ten minutes before the interval but Sorhaindo, chasing Mitchell’s through-ball, had strayed offside.

The final 10 minutes of the half belonged to the visitors. Bentham cleared one effort before former Cobbydaler, Kris Hargreaves, saw his header saved by Darke.

Jack Normanton found space behind Hudson and advanced on goal. Darke attempted to narrow the angle but Normanton netted the equaliser four minutes before the break.

Normanton almost made it two, three minutes later but Darke made a fine save at the winger’s feet.

The Silsden keeper was injured at the start of the second half but after lengthy treatment was able to carry on.

Hudson began to push fords down the right and the Cobbydalers played some slick football with Sorhaindo and Kirby linking well. Hudson hit a shot over the bar and at the other end a cross was cleared by Everingham.

Thackley brought on two substitutes which gave them a new impetus. They pressurised the Silsden defence and in a packed penalty area Charlie Flaherty netted at the second attempt.

Normanton broke through but Darke was out quickly to deny him a second. Hunter, Flaherty and Muller created another chance only to be denied by Illingworth.

Finally, Silsden managed to break out of the defence. Mitchell slid the ball through to Sorhaindo but his effort unfortunately rattled the bar. Despite receiving an injury Sorhaindo also went close with a header and Barnes had a powerful free-kick blocked. The ball was cleared to Normanton who ran the length of the field only to shoot over.

It had been a hard-fought derby which could have gone either way. Silsden now have a 10-day break before they travel to Newton Aycliffe in the FA Vase first round qualifying on Saturday, August 31. Manager Danny Forrest will be hoping that several players will recover from their injuries.

Silsden: Darke, Kaine (Hudson30), Everingham, Barnes, Illingworth, Brown, Bentham (Waddington76), Mitchell, Kirby(Forrest 76), Hardisty-Blackwell, Sorhaindo (Wignall 67) Subs. not used: Higginson. McKiernon

Thackley: Wilson, Thompson, Hunter, Whiteley, Basi, Hargreaves, Muller, Flaherty (Boote76), Wood (Brooksbank62), Trueman (Hines 62) Normanton. Subs not used: Mitchell, Rothell.

Referee: Mr C Gough; Assistants: Mr A Warner and Mr A Hallam