A TENSE finish saw Barnoldswick Town march into the next round of the Buildbase FA Vase with a 2-1 victory at Whitley Bay on Saturday.

Town's two goals came courtesy of a Zack Dale brace, but a goal in extra time goal made it a nervy last few minutes for the visitors.

After Barnoldswick missed the first chance of the game from long range, Whitley Bay's Brad Hird fired wide from a difficult angle on 16 minutes.

Ethan Kershaw then spotted the keeper off his line but his shot went just wide of the target.

Town continued to press the hosts, however it was Whitley Bay who had the next chance from a break, but Shaun Airey was on hand to clear the danger.

Barlick keeper Ryan Livesey played a great ball forward to Dale, who made no mistake to put Town 1-0 up in the 28th minute.

Ten minutes later, strike Ric Seear was played through, but the Whitley Bay keeper made a good save.

Town continued to look like the dominant side, as just a minute later Andrew Hill's good strike was saved.

In the 44th minute, Dale fired a free-kick into the wall as Town went into half-time 1-0 up.

Barlick looked solid start the second half and in the 67th minute, from a free-kick, Town caught the defence sleeping and Dale took full advantage to make it 2-0.

Whitley Bay went close in the 79th minute, but their shot went over the bar.

Town continued to press and play some good football, resulting in another good chance for Seear, but his effort in the 84th minute was well saved by the keeper.

With Town in control, the hosts then got a goal as the went into extra time.

It was a tense finish, but Town hung on to win their third match in a row.

Barnoldswick have been drawn to play at Northallerton Town in the second qualifying round of the FA Vase on Saturday, September 14.

Barlick's next game in the league is at 3pm this Saturday when they host Longridge Town at Silentnight Stadium.

* The great start to the season continues for Barnoldswick Town (EL) as they beat Barrowford Celtic 1-0 on Saturday.

The game started brightly with Town causing the visitors the most problems.

The only goal of the game came in the 10th minute when a precision ball played by Damon Whelan put Jordan Slade in the clear down the right hand side.

It was then up to Slade to find his strike partner Danny Paton and with another precise pass, Paton was on the end of great cross to smash it home from three yards.

The game carried on in a similar fashion with Town exerting most of the pressure, however Barrowford came back it took a fine save from Adam Wormwell in the 40th minute to keep Town in the game.

This was followed by a shot off the post and finally a final shot which flashed wide, but the Town defence marshalled the game out comfortably until the half-time whistle.

The second half started with Barrowford pushing harder and determined to try and find an equaliser.

However, it was the visiting keeper who was called into service when he pulled off a stunning save from a fantastic curling shot by Oliver Venn, which was heading for the top right corner.

For the next 10 minutes, Town found their rhythm again and had a couple of efforts headed of the line.

The second half became an end to end affair with both keepers having to pull off good saves, but Town ran out 1-0 winners.