Ossett 50

Skipton 22

FOUR second half tries saw Ossett pull away from a spirited Skipton team on Saturday.

Ossett kicked off down the slope in the late summer sunshine at their relocated pitch at Horbury and soon had Skipton under pressure.

Despite being caught off-side, allowing Skipton a penalty kick down field, they pinned the visitors back into the corner and were over from the line-out for the opening points of the day.

Skipton came straight back from the re-start and strong forward work forced an Ossett knock-on.

Skipton gained a penalty from the scrum and inside centre Jamie Barker clawed back three points with a well-taken kick.

From the re-start, a lucky bounce from a chip through by Ossett evaded Skipton full-back Andy Maclean and the Ossett winger collected the ball for an easy second try.

Try number three came soon after. All three were converted to give Ossett a 21-3 lead after just 25 minutes of play.

Ossett received a yellow card for a high tackle on Skipton back-row Tom Harrison in the next phase of play and Skipton drove the home side down field, catching them off-side and putting the penalty kick into the corner.

Skipton came close and a deliberate knock-on by Ossett gave the visitors a scrum just metres out.

They went for a push-over try, with tremendous work from Harry McEneaney in his new role at tight head prop.

Skipton were awarded a penalty try for interference by Ossett to leave a half-time score of 21-10 in the home side's favour.

Tom Allsopp replaced Darren Greenwood in the front row for Skipton after the break and a strong drive saw back-row Charlie Brown held up over the line.

The Skipton forwards threw themselves at the Ossett line.

McEneaney took a knock to the head and was required to retire from play, which was a serious blow for the Skipton pack, but at the third attempt No 8 Mark Davison was over for Skipton's second try. The conversion attempt went wide.

Ossett stretched their lead with a penalty goal in the next phase of play and Skipton coach Craig Bartlett brought newcomer Kieran Taylor on at scrum-half, to replace Jake Emmison.

Ossett ran in three further tries, two of which were converted, before a quick tap penalty by Skipton put skipper Hamish Munro over for the visitors' third try. Barker again added the extra points.

Despite good forward work from Skipton in the last five minutes, Ossett added a seventh try which was converted to give a final score of 50-22.