Skipton 19

Wibsey 17

SKIPTON'S tenacity paid off, with a late Charlie Brown try securing victory in a closely contested Yorkshire Three encounter with Wibsey that went right down to the wire at Sandylands on Saturday.

An early penalty to the visitors for Skipton off-side just five metres out put Wibsey over for the opening points of the afternoon.

Skipton came straight back from the re-start and many phases of possession put them down field, but a lost ball gave Wibsey the put-in and a war of attrition developed with neither side gaining the upper hand.

The visitors conceded a penalty for a high tackle but the attempt at goal drifted wide.

The sides then exchanged penalties with Skipton twice stealing the ball at the line-out until a Skipton penalty for Wibsey off-side put the ball into the corner and great forward work from the line-out saw scrum-half Kieran Taylor over for the home side's opening try. Skipper Hamish Munro added the extra points.

Wibsey gained a penalty from the re-start for the home side not releasing, but Skipton countered with good runs from Munro at full-back and Jacob Harrison on the wing.

They gained a penalty under the posts and opted for the scrum, but this proved an error as Wibsey pushed the home side off the ball with second row Andy Wooler sustaining an injury, being replaced by Ben Hall in the pack.

Wibsey collected their first yellow card of the day for a high tackle and Skipton put the ball into the corner.

The ball came sweetly back from the ruck, putting back-row Tom Harrison over for the home side's second try. Munro added the extra points to give Skipton a 14-5 lead at the break.

Skipton gained two early penalties in the second half but the attempt at goal from the second drifted wide.

The visitors collected yellow card number two for repeated high tackles but Skipton squandered possession with a knock-on and a break from the scrum gave Wibsey a second try, which was converted to bring them within two points of the home side.

A Skipton penalty from the re-start was compounded 10 metres for back chat to the referee by Wibsey and great forward work brought the home side close, only to be bundled into touch just short of the line.

A late break away try by Wibsey seemed to have sealed the home side's fate, but Skipton would not quit.

A third yellow card for the visitors put Skipton into the corner and hooker Charlie Brown was over from the line-out to clinch victory for the home side by two points.