Yorkshire Three

Sheffield Medicals 13

Skipton 17

BACK-ROW Charlie Brown secured the winning try for Skipton for the second week on the trot in a thrilling Yorkshire Three encounter at Sheffield on Saturday.

An outstanding forward game in the second half took Skipton home by three tries to one, after an early charge down gave the Medics a first half lead.

Skipton started strongly and were soon in the Medics 22. A forward pass gave the Medics the put-in, but Skipton took the ball against the head and stand-off Ra Neha put the ball into the corner.

An attempted chip over from the line-out was charged down, Medics collected the ball and gained a converted break-away try against the run of play.

A penalty to the Medics in the next phase of play pinned Skipton back, but the move was ended by an excellent tackle into touch from the Reds' skipper Hamish Munro, this week starting at outside centre.

The Medics gained a further penalty for a Skipton high tackle, which they converted to stretch their lead.

Another penalty a few minutes later was again converted and, at 13-0, the game seemed to be drifting away from Skipton.

Good forward work from the re-start by Skipton was rewarded by a penalty in midfield. Neha again put the ball into the corner and Harry McEneaney was over from the line-out to make the half-time score 13-5 to the Medics.

The home side gained two penalties in quick succession after the break for Skipton handling on the ground and Brown collected the first yellow card of the day.

The ball was not straight at the line-out, following the penalty kick into touch, and Skipton opted for the scrum.

Medics then collected their first yellow card for kicking a player at the ruck.

A period of great forward play by Skipton then began, with the visitors gaining a scrum five metres out.

The ball was knocked-on at the base of the scrum but Skipton gained a penalty and scrum-half Jack McLeod was over the line, but adjudged held up.

Skipton went again from the five-metre scrum and this time McLeod was over for Skipton's second try. Munro added the extra points.

The Medics collected another yellow from the re-start and Skipton knew that they needed to keep the ball in the forwards.

Another drive down field gave Skipton a scrum just metres out and Brown was over for try number three. The conversion attempt drifted wide.

Skipton had to dig deep and defend their narrow lead in the last 10 minutes, as the Medics gained a penalty and were over but adjudged held up.

The visitors drove the home side off the ball at the resultant five metre scrum and gained a penalty for a Medics infringement on the ground.

Munro cleared the ball down field and a fantastic forward drive from the line-out gave Skipton a scrum with just two minutes to go.

A further infringement at the scrum gave Skipton another penalty. They opted for another scrum, held onto the ball and Brown cleared into touch to end the game at 17-13 in Skipton's favour.