Leeds City 2

Grassington United 4

GRASSINGTON United produced another big upset in the West Riding County Challenge Cup, knocking out Leeds City in the first round and continuing on their excellent form in this competition - after reaching the quarter-finals last season.

Grassington started well on a pristine playing surface, but despite their early dominance they could not find the opening goal their play deserved.

Leeds grew into the game and went 1-0 up when a well struck free-kick deflected off the wall and into the roof of the net.

Leeds started to play well but could not add to the scoreline, thanks to some superb saves by David Hunt and stalwart defending by Lee Guilfoyle and Freddie Binns.

Grassington played their way back into the game. The Schindler brothers, Jack and Ben, alongside Reece Fowler in the middle began to dominate and brought Grassington’s front three were brought into game.

A foul on Daniel Hunt led to one of his trademark back post crosses. He did this with aplomb and found Jeremy Gee in space. Gee played the ball back across the goal and Fowler was there to tap the ball into an empty net to make it 1-1.

Both sides had more chances, but could not add to the scoreline before the break.

Grassington had a good start to the second half and deservedly took the lead in the 55th minute.

Prolific goalscorer Luke Howsen turned provider, cleverly playing the ball over his head into the path of Gee, who dinked the ball over the oncoming goalkeeper to extend the lead to 2-1.

Leeds had to raise their game and only looked a threat from set-pieces, as Grassington continued to defend brilliantly.

One cross did get through, however, and this led to the equaliser. A great ball in was superbly headed into the top corner by the Leeds striker.

Grassington could have capitulated at this setback, but the team showed they are made of sterner stuff. Jan Ozdoba and Fred Midgley came on and Grassington got their control back.

Grassington created a number of chances in the next few minutes and after a couple of good opportunities went begging, Grassington needed a cool head in front of goal and Ozdoba picked up the ball on the edge of the area, turned two defenders inside out and then fired the ball into the bottom corner of the net to make it 3-2.

Grassington were prepared for an onslaught, but actually benefited from the ability to play on the counter-attack as Danny Hunt and Midgley thrived in the space that they were afforded, both going close to adding to the scoreline.

With five minutes remaining, the tie was sealed for the away side, as Ben Schindler found the top corner from 25 yards out to send the travelling support wild and ensure that Grassington United were in the draw for round two.

The Craven League side will travel to play Stanley United in the next round on Saturday, November 2.