Silsden 1

Liversedge 3

SILSDEN entertained seventh-placed Liversedge, hoping to bounce back after a run of three defeats in the Toolstation Northern Counties East League Premier Division

Danny Forrest brought in new signing Marko Basic, while Mark Everingham came in at left-back, allowing Arley Barnes to move into the midfield. Laurence Sorhaindo returned to the attack. Basic had been an apprentice for two years at Halifax Town and one year as a professional before moving to Ossett United.

Silsden started positively with Everingham breaking up the left. His first low cross was cleared back to him, his second finding Basic on the edge of the penalty area but he was quickly closed down.

Everingham was involved again on 15 minutes. This time Basic killed the ball and, with a dip of the shoulder, created enough space to drive it home. Barnes drove another ball forward but the ball was cleared.

Two minutes after the opener, Liversedge were awarded a corner. Silsden managed to clear it but only for another corner. Oliver Fearon then set up Alfie Raw who headed home.

Silsden’s response was positive. Basic had an effort blocked before youngster Jay Benn broke down the right, his cross cleared for a corner.

Benn’s next run was mesmerising, cutting past three defenders before sending over another cross, which again was headed for a corner.

Dan Illingworth then saw a shot cleared to Jake Taylor-Mountford, his effort being cleared for a corner. Shazad curled the ball in but Barnes headed wide.

Benn went on another great run before Taylor-Mountford laid the ball off to Sorhaindo, who couldn’t get a clean touch on the ball.

Basic had another shot blocked before Benn went on another mazy dribble, cutting in to the near post and finally shooting into the side netting. Shazad moved in from the left but keeper Josh Lill managed to gather the ball at the second attempt. Joe Mitchell then set up Barnes. His 25-yard effort was fumbled by the keeper but cleared by Liam Marsden.

It had been an exhilarating 20 minutes of pressure on the visitors but without reward. In the final five minutes of the half, Liversedge managed to string some passes together. Kaine denied Joe Walton with a superb tackle, then Illingworth broke up another sortie.

Silsden were on the attack from the restart. Basic and Benn combined to create a chance before the former saw a superb volley deflected for a corner. They continued to be the main threat before Aidan Kirby came on for Sorhaindo.

Another run from Benn set up Shazad, who fired over the bar, before Illingworth denied Liversedge at the other end.

A free-kick saw Shazad hit the post. Mitchell’s follow-up hit the bar.

Benn’s next run was halted by a crude challenge-a booking (one of four for the visitors).

Silsden pressed and pressed before a counter attack was halted by Kaine.

The ball was moved across the back with confidence before the Cobbydalers created a golden opportunity down the right.

Kaine’s through ball found Kirby. The striker broke through and, with only the keeper to beat and Shazad on his inside, he blasted the ball just too high.

It certainly hit the bar but, whether the keeper got a touch or not, it was a chance wasted. Chris Wademan, whose international clearance came through this week, came on for Taylor-Mountford, who had had another sound game.

Liversedge broke down the right. The ball was crossed into the Silsden area. Substitute Bottomley’s header beat the Silsden keeper. A sucker punch.

Ten minutes later Silsden failed to defend a corner and Tarangadzo headed home at the near post. Mitchell’s late effort cleared the bar.

Silsden: Higginson, Benn, Everingham, Kaine, Barnes, Shazad, Mitchell, Sorhaindo (Kirby 59), Basic, Taylor-Mountford (Wademan 73). Subs not used: Liam Hudson, Bentham, Waddington

Liversedge: Lill, Marsden, Hamilton, Jones, Tarangadzo, Jackson, Ghaichem, Raw, Walton, Fearon, Kenny. Subs not used: Bottomley, Lill, Horne, Thompson, Zalo