Barnoldswick Town 2

Silsden 0

SILSDEN made the short trip to the Silentnight Beds Stadium last night for the opening round of the West Riding County Cup.

The Cobbydalers were missing Jay Benn and Jay Taylor-Mountford. Chris Wademan made his first start of the season and Liam Hudson came in at right-back.

The visitors were caught out in the opening minute when left-back Jake McEneaney broke up the left and slid the ball into the middle, where Reece Barrett fired home the opener.

Barlick almost netted a second when Joe Noblet curled a shot just over the bar.

Eventually Silsden began to settle with Wademan looking dangerous.

A corner from Khurram Shazad was headed over by Dan Illingworth before Barlick’s James Crorken released Joe Noblet. His shot was well saved by Ben Higginson.

Laurence Sorhaindo then twisted past his marker and broke down the left. His cross was met by Wademan whose shot was just off target.

The game flowed from end to end with Noblet going close for the Lancastrians and Shazad ending a swift counter for the Yorkshiremen and scoring the equaliser, which was ruled out for offside.

Gradually Barlick began to push the Cobbydalers back with some slick football involving Sam Amankwaa and Reece Barrett and a mazy dribble form Harry Thompson.

Illingworth and Kaine stood firm to deny the home side a second.

As the first half was coming to an end, Marco Basic saw a powerful shot just clear the bar, before a swift counter ended with Noblet’s effort narrowly wide of making it 2-0.

Barlick were forced to make a change early in the second half, with Ric Seear replacing Amankwaa.

Silsden had the lion’s share of the possession but they couldn’t break down the resolute Barlick defence.

Indeed, they were indebted to Mitchell’s superb challenge to deny the home side, as they broke down the right.

Sorhaindo had a half-chance at the near post, after Basic had split the defence with a deft flick but his shot was wide of the mark.

Barlick countered. Kaine snuffed out the danger. The skipper the sent Mark Everingham clear on the left. The ball was moved onto Shazad who cut in and hit a low shot which was cleared.

Kaine then stole the ball of Sear and Silsden were on the attack again. Basic twisted and turned before hitting a low shot. Livesey could only parry the shot.

Sorhaindo managed to win the ball and laid it back to Barnes. His effort just cleared the bar.

Barlick were still a threat on the counter, Seear looking particularly dangerous. Higginson denied him with a fine save.

Kaine cleared the ball. Mitchell saw a low shot saved at tone end and the Kaine blocked Luke Gibson’s powerful shot. Sorhaindo hit another effort over the woodwork.

With 10 minutes left Silsden through more men forwards. Barlick packed their penalty but were still dangerous on the counter.

Barnes denied them on one occasion but, in the dying minutes, Zac Dale sped down the right and hit a superb cross to Seear who volleyed home the second.