Goole AFC 3

Silsden 2

SILSDEN'S slipped to their seventh-straight defeat to slip to fourth from bottom in Toolstation Northern Counties East League Premier Division.

The Cobbydalers travelled to Goole for their first-ever encounter in a league game, with the Vikings' were on a 10-match winless run, while Silsden have not won since thrashing Garforth Town 7-1 on September 7.

Goole had the game's first effort, Lewis Stannard’s shot going wide of the target before Craig Bentham set up Marco Basic, whose shot was also wide. Dan Illingworth cleared a cross from Josh Schofield at the expense of a corner, which was scrambled clear.

Silsden took the lead on 15 minutes when Bentham’ dipping volley was fumbled by Callum Fielding. Lawrence Sorhaindo followed up to tap it home.

Neither side could create clear cut chances until, 10 minutes later, when Khurram Shazad slid the ball to Sorhaindo who blasted it over the bar.

Two minutes later the Vikings were level, Ben Higginson failing to hold on to Niah Jayne shot. Schofield had a simple tap-in to level the scores. After a bout of pinball in the Silsden area, Illingworth cleared up-field. Sorhaindo broke free and drew the keeper. His shot was wide of the mark.

Silsden then enjoyed a purple patch. Jake Taylor-Mountford broke up the left twice, his first cross was cleared but his second found Shazad. A dip of the shoulder created an opening then his fierce shot rattled the crossbar.

A minute later Mark Everingham sped up the left and crossed. Basic killed the ball and set up Shazad. His shot was straight at the keeper. Jake Taylor-Mountford was the next to test the home defence. Reaching Vikings' byline, he crossed low into the penalty area, Basic was there, another effort hit the post.

The ball was quickly cleared. Silsden were stretched at the back and James Faulkner netted a second for Goole. The goal gave the Vikings confidence and Silsden were indebted to Illingworth and Everingham for clearing goal-bound shots from Terry Barwick and Faulkner.

The scoreline was rather harsh on the Cobbydalers, who started the second half with Basic setting up Taylor-Mountford, who cut into the box but shot agonisingly wide.

Goole responded and Higginson did well to deny Payne before Josh Schofield’s effort cleared the Silsden bar.

Illingworth went close with a header at one end before he was beaten in the air in the Silsden penalty area by Payne on 56 minutes.

Taylor-Mountford then cut inside the right-back before hitting a low shot which was well saved by Fielding.

Aidan Kirby, who replaced Khurram, was soon in the action, heading Everingham’s free-kick wide before seeing another effort deflected for a corner.

Silsden were creating chances. Kirby had a cross-shot cleared and then Sorhaindo put a good chance over the bar. Taylor-Mountford’s shot was well saved by Fielding.

Matty Bloor then blocked a shot from Kirby before he was very fortunate not to receive his marching orders for a dangerous challenge.

At the other end, Illingworth denied Faulkner his second. The ball was cleared down field where Marco Basic netted a second for the visitors in stoppage time. The final whistle went.

Another narrow defeat for the Cobbydalers, three of those down to late goals.

Silsden boss Danny Forrest will have to lift the team’s morale. It seem a long time ago since Silsden hit seven past Garforth Town, who are in mid-table.

Goole: Fielding, Windass, Cooper, Bloor, Jacob Stannard, Adama, Lewis Stannard (Lumsden 78), Faulkner, Barwick, Payne, Schofield (Smith 78). Subs not used: Malley, Owusu, Brown

Silsden: Higginson, Benn, Everingham, Kaine, Illingworth, Bentham (Liam Hudson 68), Shazad (Kirby 56), Mitchell, Sorhaindo (Britton 82), Basic, Taylor-Mountford. Subs not used: Brown, Waddington