THERE was no joy for Skipton at a soaking wet Sandylands, where a waterlogged first team pitch enforced a move to the slightly drier third team surface for their Yorkshire Three home encounter with Halifax Vandals.

The unfamiliar territory failed to bring Skipton any joy, as they slipped to a 14-6 defeat.

The hosts made a good start but a penalty for handling in the ruck pinned them back and put them under pressure.

A great tackle into touch from skipper Hamish Munro gave them some relief and turnover ball in the next phase of play saw Munro clear.

He was brought down just metres short of the line to the disappointment of the home crowd, but an infringement in the tackle gave Skipton a penalty and an easy chance at goal for full-back Miff Smith, who put his side ahead.

The lead was short lived, as an infringement at the scrum in the next phase of play gave the Vandals a penalty on Skipton's 22, which they converted to level the scores.

A penalty for a high tackle from the restart put Skipton down field and a great drive from the lineout saw prop Joe Simeon close but held up on the line.

Halifax had the majority of possession in the second quarter of the game and a penalty for Skipton going over the top was converted to give them a 6-3 lead.

A knock-on by Skipton just before half-time gave the Vandals a scrum close in and they went in for a push-over try. That was not converted however, as the sides turned round at 11-3 to the visitors.

Although the Vandals maintained the lion's share of possession in the third quarter, putting heavy pressure on Skipton, a clearance by Munro and a Skipton penalty for obstruction saw them into the corner.

A period of Skipton possession, followed with a great forward drive, resulted in a further penalty for a Halifax high tackle. Smith converted the kick to claw back three points.

A knock-on from the restart gave Skipton the scrum and a great break by winger Jack McLeod saw the home side into the corner, but they failed to add any points to their total.

Skipton scrum half Sam Brearley then had to leave the field with an injury, being replaced by Andy Maclean, with McLeod going into scrum-half.

Coach Craig Bartlett also brought prop Chris Wright into the front row to replace Harry McEneaney.

A late interception put the Vandals down field, which resulted in a scrum on Skipton's line. The hosts conceded a penalty, which Halifax converted to make it a full-time score of 14-6 in their favour.