Albion Sports 3

Silsden 3

SILSDEN made the short trip to Throstles Nest for their encounter with Albion Sports, who were three points clear of Silsden at the start of play in the Toolstation Northern Counties East League Premier Division.

Only six matches involving the Toolstation teams went ahead after heavy rain, but the pitch, although greasy, was perfectly playable.

The Cobbydalers, buoyed by their last result, a win away at Knaresborough Town, started brightly with striker Aidan Kirby sending Mark Everingham up the left.

His cross was gathered by the Lions goalkeeper Matthew Smith. Marko Basic then broke down the right. His cross was cleared for a corner.

Everingham, as he did throughout the game, was always a threat up the left gaining a free-kick on five minutes.

The ball was swung over to the far post where Dan Illingworth saw his header saved by Smith.

After being forced back early in the game, Albion made some advances, playing the ball out of defence with confidence.

Fortunately Arley Barnes was there to snuff out any danger. Silsden took the lead on 11 minutes when Basic slid the ball to Joe Mitchell who cut it back for Kirby to fire it home.

The Lions response was immediate with Cameron Lyn cutting in from the right to fire in a low shot which Ben Higginson saved.

With both sides moving the ball swiftly on the wet surface, the fans were treated to some slick football, although Everingham’s shot over the bar wasn’t quite the finish that Khurram Shazad’s through ball deserved.

Jake Taylor-Mountford then cut across the penalty area, feeding Shazad, whose effort was just wide of the far post.

The Lions began to move the ball with more urgency and only failed to equalise when Higginson finger-tipped Marcel Chigumira’s snapshot over the bar, midway through the half.

After a Silsden breakaway was cleared, Higginson was on hand to punch clear, after a slick move involving Lyn, Chigumira and Luke Aldrich gave the latter an opening.

The Lions pushed forwards again with some skilful football but twice Barnes was on hand to clear the danger.

Albion were pressing hard and Illingworth and Josh Brown were forced into hurried clearances.

Silsden were restricted to the odd breakaway but the home side were on top and it was no surprise when they netted the equaliser minutes before the break.

Playing some slick, one-touch football, they broke down the right before Lamin Janneh levelled the score.

Two minutes after the restart the Lions went in front. The ball broke loose in the Silsden area. Higginson made a fine save from Luke Aldrich on his goal line but couldn’t quite grasp the wet ball and Janneh tapped it home.

At 2-1 down, the Cobbydalers pushed forwards. Illingworth headed over the Albion bar before Kirby fed Barnes, who curled in a shot which was deflected into the keeper’s arms.

Basic set up Taylor-Mountford, who saw his low shot saved before Barnes’ header was cleared off the goalline for a corner. Shazad swung it in and BARNES headed in at the far post.

Three minutes later the Lions were back in front. Kaine was caught in possession trying to dribble the ball out on the edge of the penalty box.

ALDICH rifled the ball home. However it only took the Cobbydalers five minutes to net the equaliser. It was a skilful move. A short corner was fed back to Everingham. He slid the ball to Shazad who swiftly moved it on to Basic. The ball was crossed to the far post where Illingworth back-heeled the ball to Kirby to slide it ball home.

Neither side wanted to settle for a draw and both sides had chances. Taylor-Mountford beat two defenders before seeing his shot cleared for a corner. Albion’s Lyn shot wide before substitute Jordan Chippendale was denied by Taylor-Mountford.

At the other end, Kirby twice fired over the bar, while Basic brought a super save from Smith with a curler.

Kirby had a chance to settle the game in the dying minutes. Unfortunately he was falling back as he tried to complete his hat-trick.

The points were shared, probably a fair reflection of the game which had been highly entertaining.

The teams meet again next Saturday at the Cobbydale Construction Stadium.

Albion Sports: Smith, Carlton, McGahan, Oyebanji, Pashley, Nebard, Lyn (Chippendale 85), Maltby, Aldrich, Chigumira (Farnhill 71), Janneh. Subs not used: Fernando, Holmes, Benjamin.

Silsden: Higginson, Brown, Everingham, Kaine, Illingworth, Barnes, Shazad (Britton 71), Mitchell, Kirby, Basic, Taylor-Mountford (Fox 79). Subs not used: Hardisty-Blackwell, Wademan, Bentham.