BARNOLDSWICK Town suffered their fifth defeat in a row after losing 3-2 to strugglers Burscough on Saturday.

Town lost the close match, thanks to a hat-trick by Nathan Martland, who scored the winning penalty in the 80th minute.

The final minutes of the match were also marred by ugly scenes, which saw Barlick keeper Ryan Livesey and Burscough's Harry Blackburn both sent off with red cards.

After both teams observed a minute's silence before kick-off, both teams had chances in the early going, including a 13th shot by Barlick's James Crorken which went just wide.

Town made it count three minutes later after Joe Noblet scored from the penalty spot.

After a fine pass by Alex Ralph, Noblett's shot in the 25th minute was well-saved by keeper Dominic Garner.

Two minutes later, Barlick's Reece Barrett's header flashed wide of the post.

A mistake from Livesey then saw Burscough equalise with an easy finish by Martland in the 34th minute.

Livesey, however, then saved a 41st minute free-kick as the teams went into half-time at 1-1.

Barlick had a decent start to the second half, forcing a goal-line clearance in the 57th minute before Barrett scored with a header after some brilliant work by Harry Thompson. After 63 minutes, Town led 2-1.

Barrett created another chance in the 72nd minute, but his cross was collected by the keeper in front of Barlick substitute John Beckwith.

Then in the 74th minute, Town failed to deal with a long ball from a free-kick and Martland was on hand to put the ball in the back of the net.

A minute later, Barnoldswick was awarded a penalty but the spot-kick was saved by keeper Garner.

Burscough were then awarded a penalty in the 80th minute, and Martland completed his hat-trick by converting the spot-kick.

Barnoldswick then applied plenty of pressure, but a Shaun Airey's header went wide and Thompson's shot was saved by Garner.

After both teams had a player red carded in the third minute of extra time, Burscough hung to claim a narrow victory.