Silsden 2

Eccleshill United 1

SILSDEN secured a valuable and long overdue three points against Eccleshill United in another keenly-contested derby in the Toolstation Northern Counties East League Premier Division to ease the Cobbydalers up into mid-table.

Eccleshill started brightly early on, looking dangerous on the break. However, the first clear chance fell to the locals, but Laurence Sorhaindo couldn’t get sufficient contact on Khuram Shazad’s corner from the left, his sliced shot spinning away and as the ball was re-cycled into the box Dan Illingworth scuffed his shot for goalkeeper Moorhouse to gather easily.

In the 10th minute the ball was crossed into the Silsden box from the left by Nicky Boshell to Eli Hey who controlled before dispatching his angled right foot shot past Higginson into the far corner to open the scoring for the visitors.

From the re-start Silsden should have levelled when Aidan Kirby was put through the middle one on one with the Eagles’ ‘keeper, but Moorhouse got a toe end to his shot to deny the equaliser.

But it was the visitors who carried the threat in the first period and Illingworth did well to head clear skipper Lewis Sugden dangerously probing free-kick from out wide on the right.

Then Higginson did well, diving high to his left to claw away Boshell’s goal-bound shot from the right-hand corner of the box, with Kaine’s header clearing the danger to prevent the Eagles from extending their lead.

In the 20th minute though as Silsden tried to get back on terms, Shazad played a superb ball in from the right for Illingworth to power his header goalwards, but Moorhouse made a great save, plunging to his left to parry away and keep his goal intact.

Then, after some scrappy play down Silsden left, the ball broke to Sorhaindo deep in the visitor's box, but he went to ground under Moorhouse’s challenge and was booked by referee Reeves for simulation.

Again, Eccleshill always looked dangerous on the break and a long through ball down the middle found Hey in acres of space, but his tame shot was comfortably gathered by Higginson.

Then Irving’s header from the left hand side of the box diagonally to the far post found Brown on his heels and unable to convert what looked like an easy opportunity.

On the half-hour mark, though, following a foul on Taylor on the edge of the box, Shazad shot from the resulting free-kick was easily fielded by Moorhouse.

Eccleshill continued to dominate and in the 43rd minute Brown crossed the ball over from the right, the ball taking a wicked deflection to loop up and over and was bundled in by Hey at the far post, only for it to be chalked off courtesy of the lineman's flag for offside, in what was the last meaningful action of an action-packed first half.

After a half time rocket from manager Danny Forrest the Cobbydalers came out with much more purpose and in the 55th minute threatened to get back on terms when following some good interplay down the left, Silsden were awarded a free-kick.

Mark Everingham fired the ball in low to the near post area, but Moorhouse did well to block with his legs to clear, despite his vision being obscured by his defenders.

The locals were then rewarded when a back pass was intercepted by Taylor on the right, who coolly controlled before dispatching his low angled right foot shot into the far corner to level the scores on 62 minutes.

A minute later Illingworth bravely blocked as the Eagles tried to restore their lead.

Then Shazad’s flag kick was headed downwards into the ground by Sorhaindo, the ball bouncing up and over the visitors bar.

Silsden continued to create more pressure when Illingworth’s long throw on the right was headed out by Toulson, but only as far as Barnes whose left foot volley from the edge of the box flashed over the bar.

Silsden were further rewarded for their pressure, though, when, following some neat interplay down the left-hand side involving Everingham and Shazad, the ball was played to Sorhaindo who controlled and cut into the box before playing a dangerous low ball into the six-yard box, which the covering Ndlovu in his attempt to clear deflected into his own goal to put the Cobbydalers 2-1 in front.

Eccleshill responded and, after good play down their left, the ball was cut back to former Cobbydaler Ndlovu whose low shot from the corner of the box beat Higginson, but hit the foot of his left hand upright to deny him making amends for his earlier indiscretion.

With the clock running down and the visitors pressing hard for an equaliser, Kaine thwarted Hey, expertly dispossessing him as he threatened to go through on goal.

But this time Silsden were not to be denied the full three points from a pulsating game which left the bumper crowd fully entertained and Forrest mightily relieved.

On Saturday, the Cobbydalers travel to second-placed Staveley Miners Welfare before the long journey on the following Tuesday to Bridlington Town in the League Cup.

Silsden: Higginson, Liam Hudson (Brown), Everingham, Kaine, Illingworth, Barnes, Taylor-Mountford (Britton), Mitchell, Kirby (Wademan), Shazad, Sorhaindo. Subs not used: Luke Hudson & Blackwell

Eccleshill United: Moorhouse, Bleau, Kaba, Sugden, Toulson, Omolokun, Ndlovu, Irving (Staunton), Brown (Hussain), Hey, Boshell, Subs not used: Stor, Woodward.

Referee: Mr M Reeves. Assistant: Mr D Chisnall. Assistant: Mr J Rigby.