SKIPTON were unable to put clear distance between them and Aireborough as they were beaten 21-19 by Yorkshire Three's bottom-placed side.

Aireborough opened the scoring with a converted try from a quick break after Skipton had shown early forward dominance, taking two scrums against the head.

The visitors countered from the re-start when a penalty, for an Aireborough high tackle, put them into the corner.

Despite being held up on the line, tremendous forward pressure from a five-metre scrum saw back-row Andy Wooler over for the 13th-placed side's opening try, Ra Neha added the extra points.

Centre Miff Smith took a knock in the next phase of play and had to leave the field, seeing the return of Ben Brearley to the Skipton first team.

The Reds gained a penalty for Aireborough not releasing, which skipper Hamish Munro put the visitors into the corner.

A quick break from the lineout saw Munro go under the posts for Skipton's second try, Neha again added the conversion, meaning the away side went into the break with a 14-7 lead.

The visitors pinned Aireborough back with kicks into the corner and a great drive from the lineout by prop Joe Simeon saw Munro clear for try number three.

The attempt at goal drifted wide, with the missed conversion proving to be the difference between the sides.

Despite hard yards gained by hooker Charlie Brown from the re-start, the gloom descended into semi-darkness as Aireborough clawed back a second converted try on the heavy pitch.

Intense pressure from the hosts gained them a third try, despite the Skipton forwards putting their bodies on the line in stoic defence.

The conversion attempt was successful and Aireborough merely had to run down the clock to gain a two-point victory, leaving Skipton with just a losing bonus point, little consolation for a solid three-try effort.

Now, only four points stand between the pair as the away side will be aiming for a first win in six against seventh-placed Harrogate Pythons on December 7.