Thackley 2

Silsden 2

THACKLEY remain below Silsden on goal difference in the Northern Counties East Premier Division after a draw at Dennyfield but both clubs moved up two places in the table.

The Cobbydalers are now ninth and their unbeaten run is stretched to eight games while the Dennyboys are now also back into the top half as they climbed to 10th place.

Despite the overnight rain Thackley’s dedicated committee and volunteers had worked hard to ensure the game went ahead and the local semi-pro followers were treated to a good, hard fought derby.

The visitors seized the early initiative and took a 12th-minute lead as Matthias Britton put the home defence under pressure.

Britton’s physicality and presence led to an under-hit back pass, which he picked up and as Thackley keeper Luke Wilson advanced to narrow the angle Britton rolled the ball square for Laurence Sorhaindo and he had the simple task of slotting in.

Thackley levelled after Sorhaindo was offside just yards into the Dennyboys’ half, the free kick was pumped long and Ryan Basi met it with a header that looped over Silsden’s former Thackley keeper Ben Higginson.

But parity lasted just over a minute as Britton restored the Cobbydalers’ lead, picking his spot as he fired past Wilson when the Sils' forward was left unmarked in the area.

Silsden took the single goal lead into the interval and they were unfortunate not to lead by more, but Thackley were much improved after the break and after deservedly equalising they had the visitors under some late pressure.

The Dennyboys’ leveller alone was worth the entrance fee. The Cobbydalers' defence managed a half clearance but as it dropped just outside the corner of the area Thackley striker Asa Mitchell caught it on the volley and lashed it into the far top corner.

Thackley boss Pat McGuire and Silsden manager Danny Forrest are old mates after starting their playing careers at the same time with Bradford City and they still enjoy the friendly rivalry.

McGuire said: “We had a bit of late pressure but I was frustrated because I thought we’d given ourselves too much to do. We gave a couple of very poor goals away and you can’t do that against good sides, and Silsden are a good side.

“I don’t think we had a particularly good first half but once we got back into it at 1-1 we should have been better but we gave another goal away, within minutes.

“We gave a good account of ourselves in the second half and we had good chances but I don’t think we did enough to win it. It was one of those tough derby games that really could have gone either way so we’ll take a point.”

Forrest also reluctantly settled for a draw, and the Cobbydalers' boss said: “I thought we missed our chance to go further in front at the times when were on top, we should have forced our advantage home by scoring more goals.

“We didn’t and they came back at us, I know what Pat’s teams are going to bring to a game and they made it difficult. In the last 20 minutes, they were on top and they had bits and pieces around our area.

“I suppose a draw is about fair but after taking the lead twice away from home I thought we should have got more from it, but to do that you need goals and we didn’t score them.

“It’s a draw, from a tough derby, and it keeps that long run going which is the big positive for us. I think its eight games now and it’s been good for us and the confidence is high so we’ll look to keep it going.”