Skipton 11

Ossett 20

A SIZEABLE New Year crowd saw Skipton put in a creditable performance against Ossett at Sandylands but were disappointed when they came away empty handed.

Ossett kicked off with the westerly breeze behind them and were soon putting the pressure on Skipton's as they entered their 22.

Back row Tom Harrison stole the ball at the line-out and two penalties were given for Ossett’s high tackles put Skipton back down field.

A third high tackle earned Ossett their first yellow card of the day and a great period of play by Skipton followed.

They maintained the lion's share of possession, launching wave after wave of attack on Ossett.

A scorching run by Jake Emmison on the wing saw him off-load to centre Miff Smith, who was bundled into touch just short.

Skipton gained a penalty for Ossett holding the tackled man down which was compounded 10 metres for back chat to the referee, and skipper Hamish Munro slotted the kick to give Skipton an early 3-0 lead.

Chris Wright came into the front row for Skipton to replace Darren Greenwood but a quick tap penalty by Ossett in Skipton's 22 for the home side gave them a converted try.

Ossett made multiple changes to their pack for the restart but, Skipton won the next scrum and drove forward, gaining a penalty for an infringement at the ruck.

Munro put the ball into the corner and Skipton were over from the line-out with a well-deserved try by hooker Charlie Brown. The conversion attempt went wide in the breeze.

Ossett countered immediately and intense pressure on Skipton's line gave them a second try. Again, the conversion attempt went wide.

Ossett came again at Skipton from the restart. The Skipton forwards drove them back but conceded a penalty, which Ossett converted to give a half-time score of 15-8 in their favour.

Early in the second half, back chat to the referee by Ossett gave Skipton a penalty within kickable range, which Munro converted to claw back three points.

Harry McEneaney then replaced Jordan Wilson in the Skipton pack.

Despite a second yellow card for the visitors, two penalties put them into Skipton's 22 and a scrum on the line gave them a third try and a final score of 20-11, leaving Skipton with nothing to show for a hard fought afternoon.