FOR the third time in a week, Silsden's home game was played in a gale, but surprisingly, it was playing against the elements that suited them, as they netted twice in the second half to beat Handsworth 2-0.

It rounded off a good few days for Silsden in the Toolstation Northern Counties East League Premier Division, as two victories, over Athersley Recreation on Tuesday and Handsworth on Saturday, saw them jump up from 16th to 13th.

Handsworth’s first foray forwards, into the wind and rain, almost led to a goal, mainly due to a back pass which Ben Higginson just cleared as Luke Rawson was breaking forwards.

Rawson came close again, firing into the side netting after Marley Grant crossed from the left.

Connor Thompson then broke down the right for Silsden. His cross was cleared for a corner. It was headed out to Laurence Sorhaindo, but his curling shot lacked the pace to beat Handsworth keeper Ben Townsend.

On 17 minutes, Khurram Shazad hit a rising drive which Townsend did well to tip over, before Shazad slid the ball through to Matthias Britton, who fired over the bar.

Liam Hudson was then off target after more good work from Shazad before Arley Barnes, at full stretch, just failed to reach Sorhaindo’s through ball.

With 10 minutes of the half left, Silsden pushed even harder. Barnes set up Liam Hudson, who couldn’t get enough power on his shot, before Josh Dacre blocked a shot from Shazad.

Dan Illingworth headed over and Townsend denied both Barnes and Shazad with fine saves, to ensure that his team went in level at the break.

The visitors might have expected to dominate the second half, but the Cobbydalers took control.

Luke Hudson, on for Britton, just failed to get a touch on Arley Barnes' low shot but a minute later, Silsden took the lead, with Sorhaindo slipping the ball past Townsend after a powerful run.

Sorhaindo had another chance in the visitors' goal area but his shot was weak, before Shazad went close and Joe Mitchell’s effort was well saved.

A powerful 50-yard run by Shazad was then halted on the edge of the Handsworth box before Barnes released Mitchell, whose shot cleared the bar.

At the other end, Liam Hudson broke up a dangerous attack, while Josh Kaine ended a slick move involving five Handsworth players.

But it was the Cobbydalers who looked more dangerous. Three minutes after coming on as a substitute, Jake Taylor-Mountford outpaced the Handsworth defence, only to shoot over the bar.

Silsden might have rued not netting a second, but Higginson made a fine save to deny Harry Mitchell.

The Cobbydalers should have made it two when Taylor-Mountford and Shazad broke clear to the edge of the area. With only the keeper to beat, they wasted the golden opportunity.

With 10 minutes left, substitute Danny Riley chased back to his own goal area to deny Handsworth. Illingworth was magnificent in defence, while Liam Hudson headed clear and Joe Mitchell blocked a low shot.

Taylor-Mountford got back to deny the visitors another chance before he ran through the visiting defence to seal victory with a thunderbolt from outside the box.

Ehsan Mohammed shot over for Handsworth, just after Illingworth had blocked another effort, as Silsden's fighting spirit saw them collect a second successive clean sheet.

On Saturday, Silsden visit fifth-placed Yorkshire Amateur, before they host Nostell Miners Welfare.

The weekend game is a league fixture, while the game against Nostell on Tuesday is in the fourth round of the NCEL League Cup.