A DETERMINED Skipton held second placed Knottingley to a close 19-8 win with a strong second half performance forcing errors from the Yorkshire Three high flyers.

The Skipton forwards started strongly with robust work by prop Joe Simeon and No 8 Harry McEneaney, but an early yellow card for stand-off Ben Brearley for a deliberate knock-on set Skipton back.

Knottingley put the penalty kick into the corner and were over from the line-out for an opening unconverted try.

Skipton defended well in the next phase of play and gained a penalty when Knottingley were caught offside.

They tapped and ran with a great forward drive, but suffered another blow when second-row Tom Harrison sustained a bad knee injury and had to leave the field, being replaced by Simon Lacey.

The visitors gained a further penalty for a Knottingley high tackle, this time within kickable range, and skipper Hamish Munro slotted the kick to claw back three points.

Skipton began to put together some well-worked back line moves with Josh Nkwo moving to stand-off and newcomer Ricky Palacio impressing in the centre.

Young Lewis Reynoldson made his first team debut as coach Craig Bartlett brought him onto the wing to replace Jamie Evans.

Unfortunately, Skipton received a second yellow card, again for a deliberate knock-on, with scrum-half Ra Neha getting the marching orders and Sam Brearley stepping up to No 9.

Knottingley opted for the scrum from the penalty and ran in their second try. The try was converted and the sides turned round at 12-3 in Knottingley's favour.

An early penalty kick to Skipton for a high tackle put them into the corner and they came close from the line-out, but Knottingley won turn over ball and punted down field.

A Skipton knock-on gave them the put in and they were over for try number three. The conversion attempt was successful.

A great break from the re-start by Simeon, supported by the Skipton pack, took the visitors into Knottingley's 22.

They came close, but lost the ball over the line and Knottingley cleared. Reynoldson collected the ball and made a good run, catching Knottingley offside at the break down.

Skipton put the ball into the corner and came close from the line-out but were denied once again.

A great carry by Nkwo and a late kick and chase by Lacey put Skipton back down field.

A Knottingley knock-on gave Skipton the put in and Nkwo was over from the scrum for a well-deserved try.

The touchline conversion attempt was unsuccessful, making a final score of 19-8 to the home side.

However, Skipton have much to build on from this performance and must now consolidate for the remainder of the season.