Skipton 20

Castleford 22

IT was anguish for the home supporters at Sandylands as Skipton let a 20-7 lead slip, coming away with just a losing bonus point from a Yorkshire Three game where a win was sorely needed.

Skipton kicked off with the wind behind them but some early probing kicks ran dead.

The Reds took a scum against the head but a knock-on gave Castleford the put-in and they opened the scoring when a missed tackle gave them a converted try.

Skipton took the game straight to Castleford from this early set back and a great break by skipper Hamish Munro at full-back saw him brought down just yards short.

Skipton gained a penalty from the breakdown, opted for the scrum and spun the ball down the back line.

They gained a further penalty, opted for the scrum again and centre Ricky Palacio was over for Skipton's first try. Munro added the extra points to level the scores.

Skipton had the lion's share of possession in the next period of play and gained a penalty for Castleford going over the top. Munro slotted the kick to nudge Skipton ahead.

Castleford began to dominate the scrums as the game wore on.

A penalty to Skipton for Castleford holding on was compounded 10 metres for back-chat to the referee, but the kick for touch went out dead in the breeze.

Skipton were not deterred and a great kick and chase saw Munro again just denied.

Second row Andy Wooler picked up a knee injury and was replaced by Rick Willsher, coming on to join his brother Mal in the second row.

Skipton gained a penalty just before half-time, which Munro converted to take Skipton into the break with a 13-7 lead.

The Reds made a great start to the second half when an early penalty close to Castleford's line saw prop Chris Wright over for Skipton's second try. Munro added the extras and Skipton were 20-7 in the lead.

Skipton conceded a penalty from the re-start which was compounded 10 metres for back-chat to the referee.

Castleford were quickly up to the mark, tapped and ran in their second try with Skipton out of position and unable to re-group.The conversion attempt went wide.

Skipton had lost their composure and conceded three further penalties in the next phase of play.

Castleford tapped and ran twice and were in for try number three, again unconverted.

Skipton re-grouped and a great break by hooker Charlie Brown saw Palacio high tackled into touch.

No penalty resulted from that incident but when Munro came close a few minutes later, Castleford received a yellow card for interference on the ground and Skipton opted for the scrum on Castleford's line.

The home side came close but a loose ball was kicked through by Castleford and only a knock-on prevented a break-away try.

The game was now into extra time and, despite a brilliant individual break by Mal Willsher, Castleford regained possession and ran in a fourth unconverted try with the last move of the game to deny Skipton a win.