SILSDEN struggled to put an out-of-form Goole side to the sword as they could only muster a 0-0 draw.

The Vikings had lost all nine of their league games since the start of the year, their last league victory coming at Eccleshill United on December 28.

After the resignations of joint managers Matty Bloor and Terry Barwick a fortnight ago, the 17th-placed side appointed Les Nelson and Lutel James as the new management team at the end of February. Their first game in charge ended with a home defeat to promotion chasing Liversedge.

The Cobbydalers were unchanged after being unbeaten in their last five games.

Playing against the wind in the opening half, Lawrence Sorhaindo tried a speculative shot in the opening minute but it was easily cleared.

A pacey run down the left by Jake Taylor was promising until his cross cleared the bar.

Arley Barnes then saw a powerful effort blocked and Goole keeper Lee Kelsey parried a Sorhaindo effort.

The visitors ramped the pressure up when they forced two corners, Myles Foley eventually heading clear.

Shazad set up a chance for Joe Mitchell, but not trusting his left, he turned back on himself and the opportunity was lost. Taylor then sent Shazad up the wing. His cross found Sorhaindo but the leading scorer’s strike cleared the bar.

When Liam Hudson sent a defence-splitting ball through to Taylor, Kelsey denied him at the expense of a corner. The Goole stopper's next save was at full-stretch denying Shazad, who had weaved his way through the defence with a couple of dips of the shoulder. Foley’s powerful shot from the corner went straight into the keeper’s hands.

When the away side did manage to get into the Silsden half, they were wasteful with their few chances. Reece Fennel crossing over the bar after good work by Kwayme Boateng. Amin Amir cut in after three step-overs, only to shoot off target.

With five minutes of the half left, Sorhaindo skipped to the edge of the penalty area but he was upended. Shazad’s free-kick missed the target. Taylor brought another save from the Goole keeper.

On the stroke of half time Sorhaindo was injured and had to be carried off. Silsden's top marksman was taken to Airedale Hospital to be assessed. Unfortunately, damage to his ankle ligaments will mean he will miss at least a month's worth of action.

Mattias Britton replaced Sorhaindo for the second half where Silsden took a while to settle after Taylor put a shot wide early on.

In the 58th-minute, Kyle Hancock, on his return to the Cobbydalers, came on for Hudson.

The game entered a scrappy phase as the Vikings brought everyone back, Knox clearing a deflected shot from Hancock.

Wademan came on for Taylor with twenty minutes to go, his first shot going wide, after Barnes had put him through.

Mitchell’s shot was saved for a corner before the midfielder had another opportunity but, once again, cut back instead of taking a risk. Wademan drove in from the right but the angle was tight and Kelsey blocked for a corner.

With 15 minutes left on the clock, Foley headed Hancock’s free kick wide. Wademan saw a low shot saved at the second attempt and Shazad fired wide after Hancock had slipped the ball through a packed defence.

In stoppage time, Wademan set up Barnes who was not aware how free he was in the penalty area.

Hancock fired over, as the final whistle went.

A frustrating afternoon for the 168 spectators in attendance. Silsden simply could not covert their domination into a much-needed goal.