AFTER a 3-0 victory in the FA Cup extra preliminary round at Eccleshill, the Cobbydalers were rewarded with a tricky home tie against Bootle on Saturday.

Silsden’s record against the Merseysiders in the North West Counties League was dire, and Bootle’s last visit to the Cobbydale Construction Stadium ended with them winning 7-0.

Sadly it was a similar story here, with the visitors winning 5-2, despite finishing the game with nine men.

In terms of team news, Silsden saw goalkeeper Ben Higginson come in for Alfie Darke (ill) and Liam Hudson for skipper Josh Kaine.

The opening exchanges were scrappy with a series of fouls by both sides. Joe Mitchell sent Arley Barnes through on five minutes but the skipper’s shot was off target.

Gradually Bootle began to test the Silsden rearguard, with left back Michael Carberry breaking down the left.

Silsden’s Leon Hurles-Brook then skipped down the left but, after cutting inside, he was forced wide and the move came to nought.

The visitors took the lead on 14 minutes when John Connelly curled the ball into the top corner.

A minute later it was all-square, with Hurles-Brook cutting back and firing his shot inside the near post.

Then, after Hurles–Brook had had a cross cleared, left-back Mark Everingham broke forwards and crossed beyond the Bootle penalty area.

Right back Hudson managed to kill the ball and shoot but his shot hit the goal stanchion.

Unfortunately the Silsden defence soon became stretched and the speedy Tom Petersen broke through to grab Bootle's second.

But then, just after Mark Trueman had gone close with a free-kick, the visitors were reduced to ten men when their skipper, Liam Loughlin, was dismissed for a reckless challenge on Barnes.

The Blues had to adjust, relying on breakaways, where the pace of Petersen was a constant threat.

Silsden striker Antony Brown looked Silsden’s best outlet, first having a low shot saved by Ryan Jones and then being brought down on the edge of the penalty box.

The defensive wall did its job before another yellow card was shown to the visitors.

After failing to get a clean header on Trueman’s free-kick, Brown broke clear but shot wide of the near post.

Another yellow card followed for Bootle, who were throwing bodies on the line.

Barnes released Hurles-Brook down the right but he wasted his cross and three minutes before the break, Silsden were punished for their wastefulness.

Petersen, who had just been cautioned, outpaced a disjointed home rearguard to put the visitors 3-1 up.

The second half started with Hudson breaking down the right. He was closed down and Bootle broke away. Fortunately, Joe Mitchell, who had spotted the danger, managed to clear the ball.

Two minutes later, Khurram Shazad hit a shot from 30 yards out and a wicked bounce gave Jones no chance, making it 3-2.

But four minutes later Silsden were caught out on the halfway line again. Carberry broke forwards and Petersen, keeping pace with him, tapped home the cross with the defenders left trailing in his wake.

A corner for Silsden, curled in by Trueman, was headed over by Barnes before another Bootle breakaway was halted by Higginson’s head ten yards out of his area.

Mitchell curled an effort over at the far end before Ben Hodgkinson cut inside Everingham at the far post to make it 5-2.

Carlton Pownall came on for Hudson and immediately went close, his shot landing on the roof of the net. Another cross from the right by Pownall and one from Everingham went begging.

There were half chances at both ends. Silsden threw caution to the wind and might have conceded more to the ten men, which with four minutes to go became nine, when man-of the match Petersen was dismissed.

Next week, the Cobbydalers entertain Garstang in the FA Vase. In the meantime, manager Danny Forrest and his management team will have much to mull over.