STEETON secured their first three points of the season, with goals from Kayle Price and Jake Townsend enough to win a feisty West Yorkshire derby at Golcar United.

Following Saturday’s heartbreaking last-minute defeat to North West Counties League First Division North newcomers Bury AFC, it was important that Steeton started on the front foot.

But it was the hosts who had the first chance. Pressure on the Steeton backline resulted in an early cross-cum-shot from Alex Hallam that sailed just over the bar.

New signing Ben Wignall almost opened the scoring for Steeton within the first few minutes, the striker fizzing a first-time shot narrowly wide after latching on to a ball that had pinballed around the box.

Following Saturday's heroics between the sticks, Jordan Moorhouse was called into action after 10 minutes, getting down low to parry a shot from Karl Jones.

The loose ball was eventually cleared by the Steeton defence.

Steeton took the lead on 15 minutes through Price, following some good work from Mo Farhan Subhani.

The young midfielder worked his way into space before curling in a shot that hit the post. Price was first to the rebound and hammered it into the roof of the net to give the Chevrons the advantage.

Moments later it was nearly two, as Farhan Subhani again worked his way into space before unleashing a shot that went narrowly wide.

Golcar had chances to level the game too, with a shot from distance by Ben Burnett going just over the bar and a Lee Bradshaw header from a corner cleared off the line by Alistair Morgan.

Just before the break, Burnett had another shot for the hosts but Moorhouse was equal to it.

Steeton came out of the blocks quickly in the second half, hoping to add to their lead. Wignall found space early on but his shot went just over the bar.

Moorhouse then managed to make another fantastic save, as Hallam’s shot from distance went through a sea of bodies in the box.

More Golcar pressure followed as Jones was played onside by the Steeton defence. His shot went just wide following pressure from the onrushing Moorhouse.

Golcar thought they had their equaliser as Jones headed in from a corner, but the referee deemed that the keeper had been fouled in the process, disallowing the goal and giving Steeton a free-kick.

On the hour, Golcar had their best chance to equalise. Following a low cross from the right-wing, Jones again fired wide when it looked harder to miss than score.

That proved costly as Steeton then doubled their lead. Some great counter-attacking football between Farhan Subhani and Price allowed the latter to cross to Townsend, who smashed home a volley.

The visitors almost added a third a minute later, as Townsend worked his way into space to shoot, but the home goalkeeper was equal to his strike.

With 15 minutes left on the clock, Golcar upped the tempo, but resolute defending from the back four of Jerry White, Morgan, Elliot Scott and Tyler Marsh restricted clear cut chances for the home side.

Between the sticks, Moorhouse was having another blinder, producing a series of saves, along with his excellent handling and distribution.

Towards the end of the game, the young stopper was taken out in mid-air from a corner, landing heavily on his shoulder. He was lucky not to suffer a serious injury.

The reckless challenge sparked a brawl inside the goalmouth, with Golcar’s Dan Stoker booked for the foul and Townsend receiving yellow for his retaliation.

Steeton weathered the storm and closed the game out strongly, which should give them great confidence going forward for the rest of the season.