STEETON came from behind to claim an unlikely 2-2 draw at Cleator Moor Celtic, with goals from Kayle Price and Ben Wignall inside the last 15 minutes ensuring they left Cumbria with a point on Saturday afternoon.

The Chevrons were back in North West Counties League First Division North action following a week off after last Tuesday’s victory over Golcar United, and were almost behind within the first minute.

A left-wing cross found Callum Birdsall, whose half volley rebounded off the bar before being cleared by the Steeton defence.

Both sides had an even amount of possession in the middle of the park but could not create the final product.

Eventually, it was the hosts who took the lead after 23 minutes, with Birdsall, again a danger in the box, heading past Jordan Moorhouse from Kieron Maguire’s right-wing corner.

This shook the visitors into action, with Mo Farhan Subhani pulling the strings in midfield and Jake Townsend causing the defence trouble going down the wing.

Steeton almost found an equaliser just before the half-hour mark, with Kayle Price beating the offside trap but firing his toe-poke wide following a low cross from Townsend.

The Chevrons squandered another chance to go into the break level, with James Wolfenden’s shot taking a deflection that sent it wide.

The second half started with both teams happily sharing the ball in the centre of the pitch, with chances few and far between.

But Cleator doubled their lead in the 57th minute when Tom Mahone unleashed a thunderous 25-yard strike which flew past Moorhouse and into the top corner.

Something needed to change for Steeton to find a way back into the game, with manager Roy Mason bringing off striker Andy Briggs and replacing him with tricky winger Luke Baldwin, who had an immediate impact.

The visitors were handed a lifeline with 15 minutes to go as Wignall played in Price, who curled a fantastic strike over the keeper and in from a tight angle to halve the deficit.

The comeback was complete with just over five minutes left to play.

Steeton were awarded a free-kick in a dangerous position and Baldwin’s effort bounced back off the bar to the feet of Wignall, who reacted quickest to tap in the leveller.

Baldwin should have given Steeton all three points in injury time after beating the offside trap, but the onrushing Cleator Moor goalkeeper managed to block his tame shot.

Despite missing that late chance, this was still a fantastic point for the Chevrons to take home from a long away trip. They are next in action away at Bacup Borough tomorrow night (8pm kick-off).