SETTLE sailed through to the quarterfinals of the Lancashire Federation Cup on Sunday, easily overcoming Lancashire League outfit Darwen.

They were boosted by a great all-round performance by Benjamin Hulse, who played a cameo innings down the order and picked up four wickets to wrap up the game.

John Davidson made an attractive 36 for the Marshfield men before falling to a mistimed shot in the covers.

After a couple of lofted shots just over the infield, Tom Davidson struck seven fours in his 39 while Hulse ran the fielders ragged making 21 batting at eight.

The visitors had a target of 193 but only Mark Friend (38) was able to provide substance to the innings.

Tom Davidson and Harry Snowden picked up two wickets apiece, leaving Hulse (4-22) to clean up the tail and take two catches into the bargain. Darwen limped to 119 all out with eleven overs still in hand.

Saturday’s Senior League match was another truncated affair, bringing a full twelve points for Settle. Cherry Tree made 148 all out with Snowden (3-27) and Dante Niles (3-31) the pick of the bowlers. Settle needed only 22 overs to knock off the target, thanks to a barnstorming innings of 54, including ten fours, from Alex Gould.

He was well supported By John Davidson (24) and unbeaten knocks from Ashen Silva (30) and Tom Davidson (28) giving Settle an eight-wicket win.

Settle 1st XI entertain Baxenden on Saturday and welcome Whalley on Sunday, while the second-string travel to Brinscall on Saturday in Division One.

Meanwhile, On a hot Saturday afternoon at Sandylands, Skipton Knights came up against a well drilled Wibsey side, who came with confidence to provide a tough battle for the Knights.

The game got off to a excellent start with Dean Barritt opening the scoring for the Knights, and things got better when two tries from Josh Nkwo sent waves through Wibsey’s defence.

Unfortunately, the Knights suffered a handful of game ending injuries, including keys players such as Josh Nkwo, Pete Macmillan and Micheal Murray. Wibsey pounced on this advantage, and built themselves back into the game, as player- coach Darren greenwood shuffled the team around.

With the scores tied at 22-22, the game looked set to finish as a tight affair. Wibsey hit the ball wide and broke through to score, but the hit of the game came from full back Josh Prell, who put a stop to that. Skipton soon went 28-22 up, but in the last ten minutes, Skipton’s defence were looking unbreakable, with huge tackles from Jack McLeod and Scott Wainwright.

But some good play by Wibsey, proved to be the turning point. Wibsey broke the line and scored a couple of quick tries to ease to victory in the end. However, the final score line of 28-36 to Wibsey does not show the determination and effect from the newly formed Knights.

Knights report by: Tony Spensley