A FINE autumn afternoon at Sandylands saw a classic game of rugby which ebbed and flowed between Skipton and Sheffield Medicals

Possession is what rugby is about. The hardest part of the game is winning the ball. Both sides used their possession to good effect but Skipton were superior in retaining the ball, at about 60:40, which was reflected in the final score-line.

Skipton made a great start, putting early pressure on the visitors and a break by back-row Ben Hall put centre Josh Nkwo clear. He shipped the ball to Tom Lacey, this week starting at second row, for an early unconverted try.

Skipton hooker Charlie Brown had an outstanding game, taking the first of two scrums against the head, and the home side came close from the resulting possession but knocked-on at the line. The Medicals were penalised for dropping the scrum.

The hosts opted for the scrum again and Harry McEneaney at No. 8 was in for a push-over try.

Ben Jeffrey added the extra points to put Skipton 12-0 ahead.

Unforced errors from the re-start gave Medics possession and a quick tap and run for Skipton not releasing saw them over for a converted try.

A high tackle at the break down gave Medics a penalty but a Ben Walker interception put the youngster clear and over for his first try for Skipton.

The conversion attempt drifted wide.

Skipton were caught off-side at the re-start and a well struck penalty kick at goal clawed back 3 points for the Medics.

Charlie Brown took his second scrum against the head just before half-time but no points resulted and the sides turned round at 17-10 in Skipton's favour.

The Medics started the second half strongly, taking the game to Skipton, and were soon over for their second try.

The conversion attempt was wide. Skipton Coach Craig Bartlett brought Chris Wright into the front row, Darren Howson on at stand-off and Miff Smith to scrum-half.

Skipton gained a scrum five metres out and, although they were held up on the line, gained a penalty which Howson converted to stretch the home side's lead.

A great break by home side skipper Hamish Munro from the re-start saw Skipton close but not over.

The home side continued to apply the pressure in the last 15 minutes and were rewarded with a late penalty which Howson converted to give a final score of 23-15.

The sizeable crowd gave both sides a standing ovation and the Medics are to be congratulated for a clean, open contest played in the best spirit of the game.

Skipton return to Yorkshire Three action on Saturday when they face off with Hemsworth, and Skipton will go into the fixture as favourites, especially given their superiority in the table's standings.