HELLIFIELD SPORTS manager Paul Dawson was “blown away” by his side’s stellar performance to beat fellow promotion hopefuls Barnoldswick Barons Senior Open Age 4-1 and reach the quarter-finals of the Craven League Division Two Cup on Saturday.

Defender Isaac Wroe headed Hellifield into a slim lead at the interval before brother Jacob finished off a fine team move to extend their advantage early in the second half with one of the goals of the season so far.

However, when Dan Hughes squeezed the ball past goalkeeper Ben Hulse to pull a goal back for the visitors soon after, it was game on.

But despite the scare, the win proved to be comfortable for the hosts, with substitute Callum Walton restoring their two-goal cushion with a stunning strike from the edge of the box, and talismanic striker Wroe adding a fourth late on after firing in a cross from the wing.

Hellifield will face either Bradley First or Barlick Wanderers First in the quarter-finals later in the season.

Away from the Cup, torrential rain and windy weather caused havoc across the Craven League for the second week running, with only five games going ahead.

In the only match in the Premier Division, Skipton Town First returned to action for the first time in a fortnight in a 3-0 loss to Cowling First.

Leading 2-0 at the interval, the win was never in doubt for the visitors, who move up to fifth, with Dan Kantas’ brace and a Craig Gregory strike sealing a deserved victory.

Division One leaders AFC Crossleys First maintained their 100% record with a 4-2 victory at Salts 3rds.

George Bainbridge’s hat-trick stole the headlines for Crossleys, with goals from Stuart Mullin and Ben Redhead proving to be just a consolation for the hosts.

Trawden Celtic Juniors are hot on their heels at the top of the table after their 4-1 thrashing of Addingham First moved them onto 22 points, whilst Baildon Trinity Athletic First continued their surge up the standings after beating Grassington United Reserves 2-1.

The matches between Chatburn First and iPlay First and Silsden Whitestar Reserves and Ingleton First were postponed due to waterlogged pitches, along with all the fixtures in Division Two.

Bingley Town Reserves’ struggles continued as they were put to the sword by Rolls Reserves in the only match to take place in Division Three.

Harrison Prenton’s double, alongside goals from Rob Greenwood, Bailey Coates, and Mohammed Butt, secured a 4-1 victory for the promotion-chasing visitors.

With the weather set to improve towards the end of the week, clubs will be hoping to kickstart their seasons and return to action next weekend.