WHARFEDALE produced a battling display to beat Bourneville by 30-18 at home on Saturday.

The hosts exploded into this match with a try in the first minute. Ryan Carlson fielded the kick off and made some progress before going to ground. The ball was quickly recycled and passed by Sam Gaudie to Josh Burridge.

Burridge found Ryan Hamilton, who burst through Bourneville’s line. Hamilton had the speed and strength to beat all the cover to score an unconverted try.

Bourneville tried to get into the game but a five metre line out failed and Dale won a penalty at the resulting scrum.

A series of penalties against Dale, a warning was issued to skipper, Dan Stockdale, who gave the visitors time in attack but mistakes in the line out led to a good clearance kick from Tom Davidson. Bourneville’s lineout failed again and Dale won a penalty at the ensuing scrum to push Bourneville into their own half.

Wharfedale’s second try came after good work by the forwards and backs with good carries from Rhys Green and Ryan Carlson eventually giving Matt Beesley the chance to score. Tom Davidson added the conversion. This showed the value of supporting players being on hand to carry the attack forward and good offloading getting the defence on the back foot.

The third try was another team effort coming straight from the restart with Bradley Viner scoring an unconverted try. The restart was run back and quick recycling again stretched the visitor’s line of defence. Hamilton made yards down the right wing and offloaded to Elliot Stockton; Stockton moved the ball to Rhys Green and on to Sam Gaudie. Gaudie passed to Harry Bullough who chipped over the defence, collected his own kick and then set up Bradley Viner to crash over. All of this attack was at speed and, despite their best efforts, Bourneville could not contain it.

The game was being dominated by Wharfedale but Bourneville worked themselves back into the action and they got on the scoreboard with an unconverted try scored by Edward Drake-Lee.

A couple of good runs from Simon Borrill and Henry McNab then never allowed the visitors to gain any further advantage.

Dale ended the scoring in the first half with a penalty slotted by Davidson to give Wharfedale a 20 – 5 lead at half time.

Wharfedale’s scrum carried their domination into the second half and an early penalty was kicked by Davidson to extend the home side’s lead. Mitchell McGahan replied from the tee minutes later. Dale effectively put the game away with a bonus point try. Davidson had kicked them downfield and they scored from an attacking line-out six metres out. The forwards were driving forward and Davidson joined in and was awarded the score; he also added the conversion to give Dale a comfortable 22 point cushion. Some strong running from Bourneville full back, Owen Williams, put energy into the visitors and they scored two late tries by Mitch McGahan and Callum Thompson. This was not enough to prevent a great five point win for the Greens.

Jon Feeley, Wharfedale Head Coach, commented after the game “A very proud day for the club. A brilliant performance backed by brilliant support, these are the days we play for. There were some special individual performances but the collective was even better. Our movement for the first three tries was outstanding and shows significant progress in our development. We were a very proud coaching team today”.

A very good crowd enjoyed a cracking game of rugby. There were strong performances from all players wearing the Green and they had admiration from the host of past players who were sponsoring the game.