A GAME of two halves saw Skipton let a 10-5 half-time lead slip, with the Medical students running in three second-half tries on Saturday.

Extremely windy conditions on the 4G all-weather pitch at Sheffield University's Norton Playing Fields made handling difficult and kicking a lottery, but Skipton made a strong start with a great opening break from Ben Walker at full-back and Joe Stapleton on the wing.

Skipton took a scrum against the head and the Medics conceded a penalty which Skipton put into the corner. A rolling maul from the line-out took the visitors to the home side's line and Anthony Chapman at Number eight was over for Skipton's opening try. Conversions were impossible in the strong wind, with neither side converting an attempt at goal all afternoon.

Although playing into the wind in the first half, Skipton came straight back at the home side, forcing a knock-on from the re-start.

Well executed forward play took the ball through several phases and resulted in a yellow card for the Medics for deliberate interference on the ground.

A well worked move from the penalty saw centre Josh Nkwo clear, feeding Stapleton for Skipton's second try.

A Skipton knock-on in the next phase of play gave the Medics the put-in and, with swift hands from the scrum, they clawed back a try. A Medics penalty gave them the throw-in on Skipton's line but prop Andy Wooler secured the ball and Skipton cleared.

The visitors then suffered a major set back when a clash of heads resulted in two blood injuries, with both Chapman and back-row Ed Harrison having to leave the field.

Forwards Harry McEneaney and Rick Willsher came into the Skipton pack to replace them just before the half-time whistle.

The second-half started at a frenetic pace from both sides and the Medics back line ran in an early second try to level the scores.

A penalty for a Skipton high tackle resulted in a yellow card for Stapleton and, with a man down at such pace, two further tries for the Medics quickly followed.

Skipton came straight back at the home side each time and were over in the corner but denied a try, as the last pass was adjudged forward.

Walker was over from a quick tap penalty but was brought back as the penalty had been taken from the wrong place.

Skipton camped on the home side's line and exerted great pressure for the last five minutes of the game but the Medics defence held.

A late yellow card for the Medics was of no consequence to the outcome and the final whistle blew on a disappointing afternoon for the Reds.

Skipton return to action on Saturday with a home tie against Barnsley.