WHARFEDALE played out a scintillating fixture with Tynedale on Saturday, but fell short at the last hurdle to lose the game 37-42.

Jack Blakeney Edwards for Wharfedale and Robert Parker for Tynedale traded penalties early on- to leave the score tied at six apiece.

Wharfedale scored the first try after an attacking line out. After driving forward, they moved the ball right and good hands gave Rian Hamilton space to attack the line. He stood the last man up and walked over to score. Blakeney-Edwards added the conversion.

Wharfedale had to be strong in defence and they were holding back Tynedale on the 22 as the visitors went through nine phases. Madison Hunting secured a turn-over penalty and the Greens moved down field. A good nudge from Blakeney-Edwards set up the line-out in the visitor’s half. Ben Blackwell then surged through the defence before unloading to Omari Kaup-Samuels for the home side’s second try. Blakeney-Edwards was again successful from the tee. This gave Wharfedale a 14-point lead with five minutes to the break. Tynedale responded on the stroke of half-time with Jay West touching down after some good handling and offloading for an unconverted try.

Tynedale carried on the good work at the start of the second half scoring two tries to take the lead. Jake Scott and Chris Wearmouth scored the tries, with Parker converting the second one.

More good work from Blackwell, Ryan Carlson and Hamilton took play into the Tynedale 22 before momentarily losing the ball. Another successful jackal from Thompson won a penalty and Blakeney-Edwards levelled the score at 23-23.

Hamilton scored another superb effort down the wing. Another Blakeney-Edwards conversion gave Wharfedale a 30-23 lead.

Tynedale then opened up and scored three unanswered tries, with Parker converting two of them. Oliver Fletcher crossed twice and Ross Cooke added the third. This gave Tynedale a 30-42 lead.

This Green team now found themselves behind by 12 points with time running out.

But they did not give up and showed great heart and courage. They finished the match with a deserved try when Madison Hunting scrambled over from close range. Blakeney-Edwards was again successful with the extras, 37-42.

Tynedale took home five points and Wharfedale grabbed two with the last gasp try. Both sets of supporters had smiles as this was an enjoyable affair on a bright and sunny afternoon.

Ben Woods, Tynedale Head Coach, commented “It had been a good game of rugby with both sides committed to play. At times it was a close affair and he was happy to end up on the winning side”.

Jon Feeley, Wharfedale Head Coach, reflected after the game “Another case of so close, something we are determined to change. The 10-minute period after half time was the difference where we were naïve in our positional play and invited pressure.

"But that aside there was so much to be positive about; I said in the week that having lost a number of senior leaders, new leaders would step forward. Josh Burridge captained the side with terrific composure.

"He led by example. On starting debuts, I thought Maddison Hunting and Jack Thompson were superb, challenging the ruck in defence and carrying with intent. And I was so pleased for Omari Kaup-Samuels to get on the scoresheet after Ben Blackwell’s brilliant break. Omari is a great character who has worked so hard to learn scrum half play in such little time. These boys are the future and I’ll be challenging them to back up this performance next week, only get over the line.”