A WOMAN was back on the rugby field - only three months after giving birth this past weekend.

It was a winning return for Katie Hembrough as her side Skipton Roses cruised to an away win at Wetherby.

The National Challenge 3 North (central) match finished 57-5 to the visitors.

Fullback Courteney Pearson was able to find space and touchdown for the Roses first try. Centre Kerys Heys added the conversion.

The restart failed to go ten metres and from the scrum on halfway, the Roses put together a good spell with the forwards of Sally Plum, Sophie Murtagh, Danika Cowgill, Rachel Cleminson and Rachel Fort carrying strong.

They secured the ball at the breakdown and the next score came from fly-half, Laura Ackroyd.

Scrum-half Sarah Pate then picked up the ball and was able to put Ackroyd in and with a twist out of the tackle she touched down for try number two. Heys missed the conversion.

Wetherby's forwards carried strong with good ball retention which earned them several penalties. They were unlucky not to score.

Against the run of play, Pearson added two further tries to her tally using her pace out wide.

As the half came to a close, Wetherby continued with the pressure through their forwards and were rewarded with a well-worked try.

In the second half, the Roses regained their composure and started to work hard in defence closing down space.

The Wetherby forwards continued to carry strongly and retained possession. They competed at the breakdown and were awarded several penalties for their efforts.

Frustration and ill-discipline by the Roses resulted in more penalties and Wetherby kept the pressure on and were unlucky not to score. 

Although the Roses lost all shape, Pate, Baggaley, Wade and Mann worked hard both in attack and defence. Pearson was able to score two further tries.

Centre Saima Hussain got herself on the scoresheet for her first of three tries, with an individual effort from halfway.

Her second try came from a barnstorming run by Danika Cowgill, taking play into the Wetherby half.

As the game came to an end, Ackroyd put Hussain in space and she scored her third try.

In the last few minutes, Wetherby again pressured the Roses try line but the referee blow time up before they could get on the scoresheet again.