WHARFEDALE found themselves in another thrilling fixture at the weekend, but fell just short at home to Tynedale in a 29-22 scoreline.

Wharfedale started brightly, but as it became a feature of the match, over ambition or carelessness cost the hosts on the attacking front.

From a position near the Tynedale 22 Wharfedale contrived to lose a maul and failed to stop a surge to their own 22. A penalty took play to within 15 metres and Chris Wearmouth did what he does best and had no trouble scoring wide out on the right.

The try was superbly converted by the left foot of man of the match Jake Rodgers. Dale's kick off was superbly caught by Ryan Carlson but a later knock-on prevented further progress.

After ten minutes and two Wharfedale penalties which took them to the right hand corner, more handling errors prevented a score, but after 18 minutes Mann broke through three tackles on the left to score a try which he converted. Wharfedale were very much in the game at this point playing some attractive, but annoyingly imprecise rugby. This resulted in another opportunity for Tynedale’s pack to dominate and predictably for Wearmouth to score his second try to be converted by Rodgers. What proved to be a crucial try in the context of the match was scored in the 34th minute after the Greens had conceded yet another penalty too close to their line. From the ensuing line out Graeme Dunn leapt high, an impressive maul followed (one of Tyne’s many strengths) and Ralph Johnston scored. A successful conversion by Rodgers was never in doubt. Up to half time Wharfedale pressed, there was some great passing going left but, once again, handling errors prevented a much needed score, so it was 21-7 to the visitors at half time.

The second half began with an impressive 50-22 kick to the left by Mann, but the line out was lost. Fortunately for Wharfe, Tynedale infringed and Mann was able to kick an easy penalty to reduce the deficit to 21-10. The home side now had some momentum with Ben Blackwell, who had come on after 32 minutes, proving a rare handful. In addition one of his tackles was thunderous. Play was still very loose, but Josh Prell continued as he had been throughout to be a thorn in the flesh of the visitors. On a rare occasion when the visitors attacked Harry Bullough thumped a great clearance from under his posts to the opposition’s ten yard line.

On their one visit to the home line, what proved to be a match winner on 55 minutes was scored. The try was an unusual one as it seemed that the defender had taken the ball over the line. This left the score at 26-10. Great forward pressure after another Mann break resulted in a try for Oli Cicognini on 58 minutes, Mann converting from the touch line. Play was now frantic; multiple chances presented themselves but the basic errors continued. Calmness was needed but not always apparent. Tynedale were always prepared to attack from deep and a brilliant tip tackle by Joe Fawcett was needed to halt the visitors’ progress . Wharfedale continued to play expansive rugby more effectively than they had done previously. Their best play of the match followed - a brilliant Blackwell burst, an inside pass to Max Bell, a precise cross kick by Mann and a score by Carlson. The score was now 26-22 but the visitors extended their lead by three points after a Rodgers penalty to close the game at 29-22.