SKIPTON went down to a 37-19 defeat at the hands of a pacey Thirsk side who scored two late tries to secure victory. 

Skipton started well with some good driving play but skipper Hamish Munro was caught awkwardly in the tackle and had to leave the field with a groin strain after just five minutes.

Losing the skipper so early in the game would unsettle any side and Skipton were caught napping as a tap penalty found an undefended blind side and Thirsk ran in an easy first try.

Skipton re-grouped and came back at the home side with a swift move out wide putting Lewis Reynoldson, this week starting at full-back, over for Skipton's opener. The conversion attempt drifted wide.

A kick and chase from the re-start gave a five metre scrum to Thirsk and they were over for try number two after three phases.

Skipton's woe was compounded by a penalty to Thirsk within kickable range for an infringement on the ground and the home side stretched their lead to 15-5.

A third unconverted try came before half-time and the home side went into the break with a 20-5 lead.

Skipton started the second half well with a good forward break by prop Damian Glaus and back-row Edward Harrison, a scrum against the head and a penalty into the corner from which they were over, but held up.

The visitors took the goal line drop-out ba ck to Thirsk and a rolling maul from the line-out saw hooker Charlie Brown over for Skipton's second try. Reynoldson added the extra points.

Turn-over ball for Thirsk lead to a kick and chase which was recovered by stand-off Josh Nkwo, with Thirsk picking up a yellow card at the break down.

Nkwo was soon back in action with a superb individual try from a line break to score under the posts. Reynoldson added the extra points and Skipton trailed by just one point at 20-19.

Thirsk came back at the visitors strongly, with Harrison picking up a yellow card for Skipton at the break down.

Thirsk ran in their fourth try from the penalty and a further penalty within kickable range stretched their lead to 30-19.

A runaway fifth try from a dropped ball against the run of play on the stroke of full-time flattered the home side, who ran out winners at 37-19.