Report by: Duncan Brown

NORTH Ribblesdale made the long journey down to Wath Upon Dearne looking to build on the opening day win against Ripon.

However, Wath who hadn’t lost at home for two seasons prevailed again as Ribb produced an error strewn performance and the hosts took full advantage.

On a searingly hot and humid day, the game started very evenly but after only five minutes Ribb’s no8 Ollie Drew went off with a Knee injury to be replaced by Eddie Bradley.

The contest sprang into life with the visitors wanting to play some quick and expansive rugby, however a misplaced pass was knocked on and the quick thinking Wath centre teed up his supporting wingman and he breezed in for a try in the corner, which was converted by Jack Whitlam from the touch line.

Another mistake was made when the ball was kicked out on the full and from the resulting line out some good hands saw the home centre slice through the defence to score a fine try near the posts and the easy kick made the score 14-0.

Ribb finally got the ball in the home 22 and from a series of drives a Wath player was penalised for offside and Micky Thwaites’ penalty was successful to end the first half time at 14-3 in Wath’s favour.

Wath’s tails were up and they had the slope in their favour in the second half. They used their Bulky forwards to great effect, driving over from a line out for a converted score and soon after rumbled over again for another converted score; 28-3.

The visitors needed a prompt reply and a wonderful move from the inside their own half, with the ball passing through several pairs of hands, was put out to Michael Robinson on the wing who cut inside and passed back to Kyle Handy to touch down under the posts; 28-10.

Ribb were now in the ascendency and with the home pack tiring Ben Coultherd weaved his way through the home defence to score a converted try.

Any hope of a comeback was short lived as a lapse in concentration at a ruck in Ribb’s 22 was punished as the Wath open side strolled through a gap in the defence for a converted try and soon afterwards the home scrum half dummied his way through the defence again to score; 40-17.

With the game nearing its conclusion, Ben Coultherd outpaced the home defence to score and the extras were added by Micky Thwaite for a final score of 40-24 in favour of Wath.