WHARFEDALE claimed their second victory of the campaign after edging out hosts Tynedale by a scoreline of 24-22 on Saturday.

Having arrived late at the ground, it was no surprise that the visitors began the game sketchily. After only a minute, a high kick into the Wharfedale half was allowed to bounce, and Tynedale’s fly-half Jake Rodgers kicked through, outpacing the green defence to dive on the ball over the line.

With the try converted, and a penalty shortly afterwards, the home team were soon out to a ten-point lead.

The visiting support feared the worst, but Wharfedale soon came back into the match. On the quarter-hour, a break on the wing by Omari Kaup-Samuels was stopped just short of the line, but the forwards were there in support, and captain George Hedgley picked up to stretch over the line. Although the conversion was missed, ten minutes later Wharfedale took the lead with a rolling maul from an attacking lineout. Hooker Robbie Collinson came up smiling from the bottom of the pile. Gaudie added the extras.

Despite having had a man yellow-carded, Tynedale came back into the match. Just before half-time they retook the lead with a well-worked try under the posts.

With a strengthening wind at their backs and another period with a man advantage, in the second half Wharfedale eventually made pressure pay, when Ollie Cigognini darted through close to the posts. Minutes later, though, it was Wharfedale’s turn to lose a man to the sin bin. Tynedale capitalized with a try from a rolling maul.

The final ten minutes were an arm-wrestle between the two sets of forwards, which Wharfedale decisively won. Collinson scored again from a rolling maul, to give the Greens a two-point lead. Cheered on by the Wharfedale support, the reen defence was resolute in the closing minutes. With some excellent game management by Gaudie and impressive young Ollie Riddiough, Wharfedale’s lead was maintained until the final whistle.

Wharfedale Head Coach Simon Verbickas commented afterwards: ‘It was a brilliant game between two evenly matched sides. Our lads were very professional in their approach. I’m extremely happy with the bonus-point win for us, but I’m glad for Tynedale that they came out of it with a well-deserved point.”

Last season, Wharfedale’s campaign was littered with narrow losses. The first three matches of this season have seen two close victories, which should boost the team as we head into next weekend’s home fixture against Fylde.