SKIPTON showed composure, grit and self-belief to register their first win of the season, coming back from an 18-0 deficit to claim a five try 34-21 victory at Shaw Lane, Barnsley.

The visitors started strongly with good early forays from skipper Josh Nkwo at stand-off and forwards Charlie Brown, Joe Hayes and Ed Harrison, but a penalty close in was converted by Barnsley to open the scoring. A break-away by the home side left wing from the re-start kick gave them an unconverted try, followed by a second try from the kick-off return. This time the conversion was good and Skipton appeared to be in trouble at 15-0 down. Their woe was compounded by a further penalty for not releasing, which Barnsley slotted to take the score to 18-0.

Skipton remained composed and began to work back down the field with forward drives and re-cycled ball. They took a scrum against the head and a great break by No. 8 Joe Hayes fed second-row Brad Nicholson. He was brought down just short but brother Carl Nicholson collected the ball and was over for Skipton's opening try. The conversion attempt hit the post.

Skipton used the same tactics again, working their way down field and, although the greasy ball in the wet conditions made life difficult, hooker Charlie Brown was over for Skipton's second try from a Hayes drive and Nkwo pick-up. The conversion attempt was wide and the sides turned round at 18-10 in Barnsley's favour.

Will Havers-Strong came into the back-row for Skipton after the break, replacing Josh Pearson. Skipton made a long-range kick-off into the corner and Hayes was over from the line-out but held up. Skipton gained a further penalty, again into the corner, and Nkwo was over for Skipton's third try from the line-out, after good forward pressure. Centre Callum Patrick added the extra points.

Skipton Coach Carl Watts brought forwards Harry Maltby and Joe Moorhouse into the Skipton pack to replace Tom Allsop and Carl Nicholson. Tom Creasy joined the forwards minutes later to replace an injured Brad Nicholson.

The visitors gained a penalty in front of the posts which Patrick slotted to give Skipton the lead. Prop Steve Carroll took a yellow for the team after a referee's warning and Barnsley converted the kick to re-take the lead at 21-20.

Skipton again worked their way down field, using the short line-out ball to good effect, and Hayes was over for Skipton's fourth try from a line-out close in, earning the bonus league point. Patrick added the extras.

A tense final five minutes followed but Skipton used the short line-out again close in, with Harrison passing back to Brown who was over for Skipton's fifth try. Patrick again added the extra points to give a final score of 34-21 in Skipton's favour.

They now have a rest weekend this time around, before hosting Rotherham Phoenix on October 14.