Silsden made a sensational start at home to Northern Counties East League Premier Division play-off rivals Frickley Athletic yesterday, and that proved handy in their thrilling 4-2 victory.

The Cobbydalers went ahead inside the opening minute, when Casey Stewart’s deflected effort fell into the path of Luke Brooksbank, who turned the ball into the net.

Brooksbank scored again moments later, but his effort was ruled out for offside, before he had another strike saved by the keeper.

Mark Hudson then put two efforts narrowly off target, with the onslaught then finally paying off on 16 minutes.

Stewart fed a beautiful ball through to put Brooksbank in on goal and he rounded the keeper before putting the ball into the empty net for his and Silsden’s second.

Kayle Price grabbed a stunning third goal for the Cobbydalers midway through the first half, turning his man, driving forward, and lashing a fearsome strike into the top corner.

Craven Herald: Kayle Price's goal looked to have put Silsden on easy street, but Frickley fought back well to make a real game of things.Kayle Price's goal looked to have put Silsden on easy street, but Frickley fought back well to make a real game of things. (Image: Linda Gartland.)

Frickley slowly started to claw their way back into the game, and after Kyle Trenerry made a great close-range save following a scramble into the box, the visitors scored with a fine chipped effort from the edge of the area by Alhassane Keita.

Brooksbank nearly restored Silsden’s three-goal advantage a minute before half-time, only to see his header tipped on to the post.

Price shot wide just after break, before defender Jacob Smith went close for Silsden too, heading the ball narrowly off target.

Smith went back to what he does best moments later, as he and Trenerry combined to somehow stop the ball crossing the line following another scramble in the Cobbydalers’ box.

But Trennery was at fault on the hour mark, involved in a mix-up with his defender.

That led him to drop a cross at Keegan Townrow’s feet, with the Frickley man converting to bring his side back to just 3-2 down.

The Cobbydalers seemed galvanised by that though and put the visiting defence under real pressure in their search for a fourth goal.

Stewart latched on to a fine Hudson pass and curled a shot just wide, before Cody Cromack had an effort tipped around the post.

Jake Cassidy drove into the box and forced an excellent second save in a matter of minutes from the Frickley keeper.

Isaac Baldwin then hit the post for the Cobbydalers, before Frickley went up the other end and had a man go down in the box.

Thankfully for Silsden, the referee adjudged that to be a dive, and he booked the visiting culprit.

The hosts roared back from that scare, Price flashing a fierce strike just over the bar, before they finally grabbed that all-important fourth goal.

Cassidy was the goalscorer, heading home a corner from close range to seal the points for Silsden.

There was still time for a couple of late chances, with Baldwin denied when in one-on-one with the Frickley keeper, before Smith made a great block to deny the visitors a last-gasp consolation.

Silsden now sit just two points outside of the play-offs, but face a tough ask to win their derby at leaders Campion on Boxing Day.