IT was disappointment for Skipton when a tight game of two halves and injuries to key players saw them lose by just one penalty goal.

The home side made a strong start putting pressure on Barnsley in their own 22 and a long-range penalty goal by stand-off Callum Patrick from inside the half-way line saw Skipton take the lead after five minutes.

Good fluent play from the re-start saw Skipton close, with the last pass going into touch. They maintained the pressure and centre Joe Gill was over in the opposite corner but the ball wasn't grounded. The goal line drop out went straight into touch and Patrick attempted a drop goal from behind the scrum back, but the ball was just wide.

Barnsley surfaced from this initial period of pressure and scored a try from a catch and return by their right winger, evading many tackles to put his forwards clear. The conversion attempt drifted wide.

Probing kicks by Patrick pinned Barnsley back but then Skipton suffered a blow with No. 8 Joe Hayes leaving the field, a consequence of last week's ankle injury. He was replaced by Miff Smith and great forward play by the home side set up a platform for a well worked move down the back line to put winger Jonny Tomes-Green in for a try in the corner. The conversion attempt was not successful, and Skipton went into the break with an 8-5 lead.

Barnsley made a strong start to the second-half gaining a scrum close in. Skipton took the ball against the head but conceded a penalty, which the visitors converted to level the scores.

Skipton then suffered another blow with Patrick having to leave the field with a nasty ankle injury. Joe Moorhouse came on as replacement and the home side had to make some rapid adjustments to the back line.

A high tackle gave Skipton a penalty within kickable range, which Tomes-Green slotted to regain the lead. A ferocious period of play from Barnsley followed as they began to dominate the second-half, particularly at the line-outs. Skipton prop Tom Allsop then had to retire injured, being replaced by Sam Woodhead. Skipton conceded a penalty for a deliberate knock-on which the visitors slotted to level the scores again.

It was then Barnsley's turn to take a scrum against the head. Skipton conceded a penalty in the process which Barnsley converted to win the game by a penalty goal, leaving a disappointed Skipton with just a losing bonus point from the afternoon, with the visitors edging it 14-11.