SILSDEN suffered a sickening 3-2 defeat at home to Golcar United on Saturday, as their slide into mid-table obscurity in the Northern Counties East League Premier Division continued.

On an awful run of form, Silsden looked to have put that right at the weekend when, despite being down to 10 men, they led 2-1 heading into second-half stoppage-time.

But Golcar equalised from a corner, before converting a controversial penalty nine minutes into added time.

Silsden ended the game with nine men after picking up a second red card ahead of the penalty, meaning they will be affected going forward selection-wise, as well as having to mentally recover from that defeat.

Casey Stewart’s deflected effort almost put the Cobbydalers in front early on, but they did hit the front when Kayle Price latched on to a loose ball, rounded the keeper and slotted home after only 11 minutes.

Golcar edged the rest of the first half, with Silsden indebted to goalkeeper Jacob Rabone for one particularly good save.

The visitors deservedly levelled after 49 minutes, as George Doyle cracked a half-volley into the net from the edge of the box.

Silsden were hanging on, with Arley Barnes and Cody Cromack both picking up yellow cards, while Golcar had a free-kick cleared off the line and a header that dropped inches wide.

The home side’s task got even harder when Cromack was sent off for a second bookable offence just after the hour mark, but they did find a second wind with 20 minutes to go.

Stewart saw his strike well blocked and Price lashed a loose ball over the crossbar after it dropped nicely for him.

And Silsden hit the front with 10 minutes to go when Stewart’s free-kick was inadvertently deflected into the net by a visiting player for an own goal.

Craven Herald: Casey Stewart (red) was a threat all afternoon for Silsden, and could count himself unlucky to end up on the losing side.Casey Stewart (red) was a threat all afternoon for Silsden, and could count himself unlucky to end up on the losing side. (Image: Mike Bayly.)

Stewart had a great double chance to put the game to bed late on, but saw both of his shots blocked, before Rabone made a stunning save at the other end to keep out a diving header.

With six minutes added on, Stewart was forced into a superb block at the back post to keep Golcar out following a corner that caused Rabone problems.

But another corner soon came into the box, and this time Golcar bundled the ball home to equalise.

It got worse for Silsden moments later too, when the referee awarded the visitors a penalty for a foul that looked as if it might have taken place just outside the box.

Isaac Baldwin was sent off in the aftermath of the award, leaving Silsden down to nine men, and Doyle sent the penalty beyond Rabone to give Golcar an extraordinary win.

Silsden will look to bounce back in midweek with victory at fellow mid-table side Barton Town.