IT was a second visit to Hull of the season and again Dale came up short and travelled back without a point as the hosts held on to a 21-10 victory.

The visitors did start well and put some good phases together but, to their frustration, knocked the ball on in Hull’s 22.

A penalty for the hosts soon followed and they pushed the visitors further back with a successful 50-22.

A lineout followed and six phases later, Hull scored a try out wide with Mike Joblin touching down for an unconverted try. Reece Dean extended the lead with a penalty.

Wharfedale were then guilty of giving several penalties away in quick succession, which meant that the host were able to exert their dominance amidst having territorial advantage.

The Green Machine looked to prevent the hosts from running away with the game before the interval, but good pressure from Hull eventually was spread to the right and found Evi Uriburu-Gray free on the wing to touch down and Dean landed an excellent conversion to take the score to 15-0 at half-time.

After the break Dale came out intent on playing some free-flowing rugby, and a team effort led by Jack Pinder ended with a break from Louis Verity. A try looked to have been scored but Verity was adjudged to have lost the ball over the line.

The visitors regrouped and built through the phases, and they wer eventually awarded an attacking lineout. Five phases later the ball was sent down the line and Josh Prell scored wide on the right. Dale were now playing some good fluent rugby and were back in the game.

It was then Hull’s turn to be awarded a penalty, and they chose to kick for goal on this occasion 42 metres out . Dean was accurate and the lead was now extended to 13 points.

He then missed another long range effort but landed another from 47 metres to extend the lead. The last penalty also saw Ben Markey get a yellow card.

Dale’s 14 finished the game strongly and the pack rumbled over from an attacking lineout with Ben Patchett awarded the score.

The injury count for Wharfedale was mounting as the day progressed, but the visiting players continued to give a strong account of themselves.

However, it was too little, too late and the East Yorkshire outfit held on to claim a 21-10 victory.

Up next for Wharfedale is a home game with Tynedale on Saturday with the game getting underway at 3pm.

Dale remain in 4th at this moment in time.

Wharfedale Hodgson; Kaup-Samuels, Cicognini, Verity, Prelle; Davidson, Darwin; Dickinson (Meehan 59), Collinson (Patchett 59), Armstrong, Green, Burridge (Coulton 47), Pinder (Borill 46), Markey, Baldwin (Beresford 39)