In front of the largest crowd of the season, Wharfedale put in a valiant display against league leaders, Leeds Tykes on Saturday as they fell to a narrow 12-8 defeat.

The hosts were transformed from the discipline point of view after the previous week, giving away just a single penalty in the first half whilst Leeds accumulated many more.

It should also be noted that it was only the second time that Leeds had failed to accumulate five bonus points, both occasions being against the Greens.

The opening minutes of the match saw Leeds attacking but lacking precision, as shown early on when a pass was thrown into touch. The danger from attacking full back Kieran Davies was soon clear, but playing down the slope, despite facing the strong wind, the Wharfedale forwards made ground, but they were held up over the line.

Leeds’ Ewan Evans had to be replaced by Ben Turpin but he proved to be the first try scorer after 19 minutes. Turpin intercepted a promising Greens' move and scored, having run from inside his own 22. This left an easy conversion for Kieran Davies, who was to have his usual eye-catching game.

This turned out to be the only score of the first half, not least because the Greens+' defence was so good that Leeds had great difficulty in securing the ball, whereas Wharfedale performed well in this crucial aspect of the game.

A quite memorable bit of action saw Tom Darwin driving back the opposing winger more than 15 metres with four players - two backs and two forwards - soon on hand to capitalise on this. The impressive Louis Verity then made many metres before an excellent position was gained in the left hand corner. Unfortunately for the hosts, over-eagerness resulted in a penalty being conceded and a huge opportunity lost.

Just before half-time Davidson kicked a penalty to the left corner, but Leeds won the maul after a great effort by the home pack. The visitors went into the interval with a 7-0 lead.

Former Wharfedale player Pete Lucock was yellow carded for the visitors, and Wharfedale’s best period of play followed with the back row impressing, linking with Cicognini, Hedgley and livewire scrum half Riddiough, which enabled Davidson to score far right on 58 minutes. Although he failed to convert, he was soon in the game again with a drive up the middle. One of many bursts by Man of the Match Elliot Stockton followed, a penalty was awarded and this time Davidson was successful.

With the clock ticking down, Leeds scored what proved to be the crucial try after some effective scrummaging when full back Kieran Davies touched down on the far left after 75 minutes. He failed to add the extras.

The match was certainly not over as Wharfedale threatened immediately with a James Coulton burst, a knock on very close to the posts, but still more possession for the Greens and a final cross kick by Verity which just failed to be touched down, so Leeds survived and held on to a key 12-8 victory in their bid for promotion.