Silsden may have to settle for a mid-table berth now in the Northern Counties East League Premier Division, having challenged for the play-offs for much of the season, but they are not on the beach just yet.

Instead, they won a magnificent match 4-3 at home to Penistone Church on Saturday, damaging the promotion hopes of their visitors in the process.

Kayle Price, formerly of Steeton, was the hero of the hour for Silsden, as he netted a brilliant hat-trick.

The away side made a brilliant start, taking the lead on only five minutes through the prolific Nathan Keightley.

He should have had his brace moments later, smashing the ball over the bar from a great position, and the Cobbydalers instead took instant advantage, equalising in bizarre circumstances.

Penistone keeper Chris Snaith handled what was deemed to be a back pass, with the indirect free-kick inside the box touched to Price, who crashed it gleefully into the net.

The visitors were aggrieved by that decision from the referee, but they did not dwell on it.

They quickly retook the lead through former Silsden player Lennon O’Grady, who scored from the rebound after Jay Rabone had saved from another ex-Cobbydaler, Antony Brown.

Silsden roared back, with Snaith making fine saves to deny a sizzling striker from Jake Maltby and a good attempt from Casey Stewart

Penistone then had a decent chance deflected just wide, before Luke Brooksbank levelled the scores for a second time on 34 minutes, turning inside the box and finding the bottom corner with his striker.

The shellshocked visitors conceded again almost immediately, with Maltby’s deflected effort falling perfectly for Price to smash the ball home.

Silsden skipper Arley Barnes made a wonderful block to deny a certain goal 10 minutes after the break, but Penistone were soon level anyway.

A mix-up in their defence allowed Keightley in, and the goalscoring machine took that gift with glee to make the score 3-3 with just under half-an-hour left to play.

But Silsden reacted brilliantly to that setback and went back ahead in no time, with Price completing his hat-trick by heading home Brooksbank’s cross.

A combination of Rabone and Ross Daly somehow denied Penistone a fourth goal of their own with 15 minutes to go, while Penistone were left furious after being denied a penalty when Brown went down in the box.

Brown then looked to be in one-on-one with Rabone, only for Adam Clayton to make a stunning goal-saving tackle.

Silsden’s task only grew harder when substitute Corey Roper was sent to the sin-bin with five minutes to go.

But the hosts held out, despite six minutes of stoppage-time being added, to secure a memorable win.

Silsden’s next league game comes tomorrow night, when they host lowly Bottesford Town