Keighley District FA Supplementary Cup first round: Steeton Res 4 Broomhill Res 2 (aet)

STEETON Reserves passed through to the next round after a hard-fought tie against a determined Broomhill side who came within seconds of winning.

As the pitch at Summerhill Lane was waterlogged, this tie was played at Marley and the muddy surface which deteriorated as the match progressed put paid to a neat passing game.

Broomhill almost took the lead after ten minutes but a fine piece of goalkeeping from Sam Moore kept the scoresheet blank. Steeton's Toby Jeffrey broke the deadlock after 20 minutes when he tapped in a loose ball after a right-wing corner.

The lead lasted barely five minutes as Tyler Brigg took advantage of a defensive slip-up and slotted the ball past Moore. Broomhill twice almost doubled their score before half-time but were thwarted by fine last-ditch tackles by Darragh Davy-Burke and Freddie Maddocks.

The second half was only five minutes old when Brigg scored his second to give Broomhill the lead.

This brought about a long period of sustained pressure from Steeton, which saw substitute Will Knight hit both posts and the crossbar and fellow replacement Andy Howland bravely thwarted three times by goalkeeper James Smith, who despite being injured just before the interval bravely played on with severe back pain.

Smith produced another fine save from a superbly struck effort from Jack Richmond, who also saw another shot strike the bar.

With 90 minutes gone, a long punt from Moore fell to Knight on the right wing and his centre was bundled home by Howland seconds before the final whistle.

Five minutes into extra time Knight saw yet another effort strike an upright but his perseverance was rewarded when he turned in a right-wing cross just before the extra-time interval.

After 110 minutes, Howland latched on to a loose ball and rounded Smith before pushing the ball home to make the score 4-2.

Steeton first team's Keighley FA Challenge Cup tie at Denholme was postponed due to an unplayable pitch.