Silsden Reserves 5 Newsome 4 (after extra time, 3-3 90min)

With Nicky McNally notching a hat-trick for Silsden Reserves, the striker might have expected the headlines.

But it was keeper Wayne Mahomet who helped to book the young Cobbydalers a West Riding County Challenge Cup quarter-final date at West Riding County Amateur League leaders Ovenden West Riding with a string of remarkable saves.

Silsden, 2-0 down after ten minutes and playing with ten men for the last 57 minutes after the dismissal of Trev Terrolonge, clawed themselves back from 4-3 down in extra time to win a thriller.

With the match having been postponed twice, the tie finally took place on a surprisingly good pitch but rustiness was expected as neither side had played be-fore in the month.

But what the fans got from the hosts was even worse for 20 minutes, with their players not having the slightest idea what to do with the ball or their opponents.

Huddersfield League side Newsome took the lead in the opening minute, with Silsden having already had a scare when Wayne Wilkin-had an effort saved. Then Josh Shields broke through unchallenged to slide the ball past Mahomet.

As Silsden dillied and dallied, Jamie Jobarteh shot over the bar before Shields notched his second on ten minutes, having drifted past David Blacklock.

Then Anthony Haigh and Paul Pyke both went close before Silsden finally woke up. Joe Jalil slid the ball though the Newsome de-fence and McNally hit a superb volley on the turn from the edge of the box.

The slick-passing Cobby-dalers then began to dominate possession and Mc-Nally almost notched an equaliser in the 35th minute.

But the visitors were still looking dangerous, centre back Chris Beckley twice going close and Pyke being denied by a superb save.

At the start of the second half, Shields had a low shot saved after he had got round Blacklock too easily but gradually Blacklock, Jalil and Tom Sowerbutts began to exert some authority.

Sowerbutts drove the ball into the Newsome area where Brad Fay flicked it to McNally, whose cross-shot made it 2-2 on 52 minutes.

The Silsden defence never looked completely secure, however, and the visitors still created chances. Pyke headed wide, after good work by Jobarteh, and then Adam Hill was denied when Mah-omet dived at his feet.

The Silsden keeper then foiled Pyke again on 63 minutes before Terrolonge was caught napping by Pyke’s pace.

Chasing the striker into the Silsden area, he pulled him back and was sent off, Pyke netting the spot-kick.

Jalil went to the back with Tom Palmer and Blacklock and the gaps were closed.

Indeed, the ten men equal-ised on 72 minutes when Mc-Nally chased Blacklock’s long ball to the byline, his low cross being tapped in by Fay.

Mahomet then made two wonder saves and quickly denied Shields by the penalty spot just before extra time.

In the additional period, Pyke ran through a tiring defence to make it 4-3, only for substitute Josh Metcalfe to volley an equaliser and McNally to get the winner after 115 minutes.

On Saturday, the reserves are at Darwen, while the first team – whose match at West Didsbury & Chorlton was postponed on Saturday – host Winsford Town.

Silsden Reserves: Mahomet, Palmer (Stephen-son 74), Terrolonge, Blacklock, Murgatroyd (Metcalfe 45), T Sowerbutts, Jalil, Rouse, McNally, Fay (Narey 102), Nazir.