Barnoldswick Town 1 Colne 0

A Matthew Cavanagh goal in first-half injury time secured Barnoldswick Town their first Premier Division win under new manager Stewart Airdrie, on Tuesday night.

Town welcomed back Shaun Airey and had new signing Matthew McNamara from Clitheroe in the team.

Paul Walker, Aaron Hollin-drake, Connor Smith, Chris Ridehalgh, and Joel Melia, back after a six match suspension, were on the bench.

Colne started the better of the two teams with Bill Willi-ams and Airey having to defend rigorously.

Town’s first chance came when McNamara beat two defenders before crossing into the Colne penalty area where Mark Threlfall headed wide of the far post.

Colne pressed forward and Williams did well to block a Kieran Demaine shot.

Town had a good move blocked after 20 minutes, Anthony Pollard slipping the ball down the wing to Sam Howell. He moved deep into the Colne penalty area before seeing his shot blocked.

Town were beginning to exert some pressure and two minutes later a curling Howell free kick found Threlfall at the far post but his header drifted tamely wide of the far post.

Town rode their luck with some desperate defending, as Pollard, Airey, Williams and Jake McEneaney worked overtime.

As the first half drew to a close Town won a corner on the Colne right. Howell took it and swung it in towards the near post where it was cleared for another corner.

Howell swung the flag kick a little higher than the previous one and found Threlfall inside the six-yard area. The striker managed to head the ball down and Cavanagh reacted first to score.

Right at the start of the second half Town had to replace Threlfall with Melia after he suffered a groin strain.

Melia was immediately in the thick of the action, his pace and nimble feet saw him ghost past two defenders When Melia pulled the ball back Carl Ellerton saw Chris Thompson make a great save to keep out his volley.

Town nearly shot themselves in the foot after 56 minutes. Cavanagh made a poor back pass which fell short of Billy Carrington.

A Colne forward nipped in to take the ball round the keeper but ever with everyone waiting for the equalising goal, the forward slipped and allowed the ball to go for a corner. It was a real let off.

Colne continued to press and a cross to the far post saw Demaine hit a first time shot into the side netting.

From another Howell corner Melia found himself alone at the far post but completely missed the ball when well placed for a shot at goal.

Melia forced a fine save from Thompson in the 75th minute after skipping past Edward Williams.

A minute later he played a great ball through to Harry Thompson but the keeper again came to his side’s rescue.

Melia was unstoppable and he raced through the Colne defence only to be denied by Thompson diving at his feet.

Colne went searching for a late equaliser but Town were determined to cling on to the three points.